YASD! NaMo of Chei

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 29th March 2012, 16:20

YASD! NaMo of Chei

So one of my most successful characters so far, a Naga Monk of Cheibriados, is happily steamrolling everything in its path on D6 or D7 when suddenly an enemy appears (a named character whose name I can't recall, but it wasn't Sigmund). He looked very dangerous, though, so I wasn't about to take any chances. I decided to elaborate a cunning plan (Baldrick from Black Adder, anyone?): since I had full piety with Chei, I would be able to Slouch this nasty fellow away and keeping my hands clean in the process. Even better, I would first Bend Time in order to make Slouch more effective. Yes, yes, this bastard would be quickly dealt with and I would one turn closer to my precious orb.

Before doing this, I decided to have a look at my backpack. Oh, what is this? A wand of Haste, you say? My, my, this is just what I needed! I'll zap the bugger with this, then super-haste him with Bend Time and then Slouch him out of his boots! Yes! Perfect! Plus, the wand of Haste is displayed in RED letters, so it must be super-effective, pokemon style.

Here we go: 1, 2, 3... press <a> then <c> and then: "You'll pay for your transgression, mortal!"

What! No! Wait! CTRL+Z! Undo! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.........

Not-an-exit was killed by an unbelievable dose of utter noobishness. :|

Oh well, back to the start screen and once more unto the breach, my friends.

Eringya's Employee

Post Thursday, 29th March 2012, 16:28

Re: YASD! NaMo of Chei

From the knowledge bots:

Bend Time:

Slows down everyone who's standing just next to you, after a making a (Monster HD)d3 > ((16+INVO*8)d2)/2 check. If it succeeds, the monster resists.

So by using this, you're actually reducing your Slouch damage.
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 29th March 2012, 17:02

TehDruid wrote:From the knowledge bots:

Bend Time:

Slows down everyone who's standing just next to you, after a making a (Monster HD)d3 > ((16+INVO*8)d2)/2 check. If it succeeds, the monster resists.

So by using this, you're actually reducing your Slouch damage.

Hum... interesting. Note to self: Must pay more attention to spell descriptions.
Since Nagas are already quite slow by nature and even slower if worshipping Cheibriados, I'm thinking that Bend Time isn't really useful for them. A slowed Orc Warrior must still be faster than a naga, yes?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 29th March 2012, 17:12

Nagas, and Chei worshippers in general, have slow movement, not slow attacks. If you're going to go toe-to-toe with one or more monsters, having those monsters attack 30% slower is beneficial.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 29th March 2012, 17:44

wayreth wrote:Since Nagas are already quite slow by nature and even slower if worshipping Cheibriados, I'm thinking that Bend Time isn't really useful for them. A slowed Orc Warrior must still be faster than a naga, yes?

Use Bend Time like you would use Okawaru Finesse: it means your attacks get much faster in comparison to the enemy (slow means all actions are slowed, not just movement). It is very good.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 29th March 2012, 18:50

wayreth wrote:Oh, what is this? A wand of Haste, you say? My, my, this is just what I needed! I'll zap the bugger with this, then super-haste him with Bend Time and then Slouch him out of his boots! Yes! Perfect! Plus, the wand of Haste is displayed in RED letters, so it must be super-effective, pokemon style.

Someone obviously didn't read this post in this thread.
"Be aware that a lot of people on this forum, such as mageykun and XuaXua, have a habit of making things up." - minmay a.k.a. duvessa
Did I make a lame complaint? Check for Bingo!
Totally gracious CSDC Season 2 Division 4 Champeen!

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 29th March 2012, 20:23

XuaXua wrote:
wayreth wrote:Oh, what is this? A wand of Haste, you say? My, my, this is just what I needed! I'll zap the bugger with this, then super-haste him with Bend Time and then Slouch him out of his boots! Yes! Perfect! Plus, the wand of Haste is displayed in RED letters, so it must be super-effective, pokemon style.

Someone obviously didn't read this post in this thread.

Indeed. :mrgreen:

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 29th March 2012, 21:00

As mentioned, bend time is basically to slow down their attacks on you so that you can melee them. Don't mix bend time and slouch, and wands of hasting should be dropped immediately :) I believe you can use random effects if you like living on the edge - if it does something like a fireball you're ok, but if you randomly get haste, you're screwed. I drop them as soon as I find them on just about every character as I don't like dealing with randomness to begin with, I wouldn't recommend using them ;)

If you haven't yet seen it, I've written a NaMo of chei guide which is at http://crawl.chaosforge.org/index.php?t ... Monk_guide :)

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 30th March 2012, 13:37

tasonir, the reason I've tried this build was precisely because of your guide.

Being a long time player of Crawl, I feel that one of my weak points is that I've yet to grasp some key concepts like skill management and other stuff - for instance, it was only after reading your guide that I understood the importance of focusing some skills while disabling others, in order to get your main abilities/startegy online asap. I was reading the guide and thinking "Well, this makes sense" and when I gave it a go I felt that things were really moving along nicely. This is quite an improvement over guesswork, and the guide allows to extrapolate concepts to other builds as well.

All in all, I'm having a lot of fun with NaMo - thank you for taking the time to write this guide.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 30th March 2012, 19:49

Awww :) glad to help, I am always glad to hear the guide's been useful to people!

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too