CIP Is that VpEn viable for extednded?

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 15th April 2016, 06:35

CIP Is that VpEn viable for extednded?

Hello, guys.

This is my first successful stabber and I have only had one 15-rune win with HECj. Please advice if it is feasable to win extended with that character? Hexing last game monsters doesn't seem reliable, and it is not easy to kill orbs and gurdians already (I use summons for that). If it is, please advise which spells I should forget/learn and further skill development. Any other advice is always welcome.

Thanks!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 15th April 2016, 06:56

Re: CIP Is that VpEn viable for extednded?

I just killed a whole bunch of Vampires trying to get the last tick for comborobin's 15-rune greater player. Extended seemed rough on Vampires. Stabbing and Hexes are less useful in extended. And Vampires are susceptible to torment *and* dispel undead.

Definitely pick up Darkness and Aura of Abjuration.

How are you going to handle 1's and pan and hell lords? Iron Shot maybe, or Dragon's Call. You probably want a stronger weapon than a short blade, too, but bring along your best dagger for when a stab is available.

You've got CBlink, so maybe you can avoid most nasty things.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 15th April 2016, 07:13

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think everything you wrote was correct. First, I don't think I should change weapons as the main one is cursed for Ash. Second, I believe the vampires are ***protected*** from torment when they are bloodless, aren't they? Please let me know how Darkness is useful? I had memorized it and then forgot, as it was not so useful at all. I would sincerely appreciate it If someone who had already had 15-rune wins with vampires could write some comments too.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 15th April 2016, 07:49

What Airwolf wrote was very correct. Keeping short blade cursed makes hardly any sense once you reach max piety. You have mindelay on short sword anyway and damage boost from 4 skill levels is irrelevant. On top of that, +8 pierce short sword is a poor weapon which will barely kill anything in extended. You'd be better with +0 short sword of elec or some dagger for stabbing purposes.

Being non-Makh worshipper, you won't be able to stay bloodless, because you will be losing way too many HPs to forsake natural regeneration. Waiting till you become bloodless again is not an option in extended - there's no time to wait in e.g. hells.

Darkness is very useful for a stabber, as it decreases number of tiles one has to walk through unnoticed before stabbing an enemy. Furthermore, shorter vision means that there will be less enemies to fight at once.

Also, good luck with Tomb - you don't have means of clearing it efficiently while being vulnerable to dispel and eventually torment (somehow you need to regain HPs). Grab dispel at least if possible.

If you can get lvl 8-9 summonings, they are your best bet for clearing extended. Otherwise it will be a gamble - you have poor offense and no makh to regenerate lost HPs.

For this message the author Bart has received thanks:
Airwolf

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 15th April 2016, 11:11

I have read somewhere about Vampiric Drain + Summon Butterflies combo for regaining HP, but I haven't found that spell yet. Is it reliable for that purpose?

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 15th April 2016, 16:26

said46 wrote:I have read somewhere about Vampiric Drain + Summon Butterflies combo for regaining HP, but I haven't found that spell yet. Is it reliable for that purpose?

Doesn't work.
Last edited by WingedEspeon on Friday, 15th April 2016, 18:19, edited 3 times in total.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 15th April 2016, 18:03

In addition to improving chances to stab, Darkness makes it easier to avoid that awake Hell Senteniel that you really don't want to melee, short blade or not.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 15th April 2016, 19:08

The link goes to a MiBe, so I can't comment on the VpEn. I'd recommend posting an actual dump in code tags.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too