YASD - DrIE - what could do?

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 27th December 2015, 07:04

YASD - DrIE - what could do?

Dead Again

I always have problems with Drak's and this is the same. I am at a point now where I have no where to go that I won't be killed. There are special and super power monsters that I can't kill on every branch. I don't see any options available that won't end in end game. Ghost on Snake 4 can not be damaged. I tried Ice spells, flame spells, OoD and could do any damage. Slime 2 has Dissolution that I have no why of combating. Elf 3 has hordes of blade masters that and high level wizards that I can't kill or run from. Vaults 3 has Margery and her horde of guards that I can't handle. I have used all my scrolls of blink and tele just to escape snake and elf.

I can't gain skills fast enough with a drak, due to poor skill aptitudes, to have power to kill and survive.
Last edited by Lawndart Jedi on Monday, 28th December 2015, 05:40, edited 3 times in total.
╔═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
●→ Wins: MiFi,MiGl DsFi HoBe DDHu DECj DrCj ←●
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 27th December 2015, 07:12

Re: CIP - DrIE - Stuck with nowwhere to go.

Wear ring of Shadows instead of ring of magic points.

I don't really want to comment on your skills because it seems like you are trying to get Glaciate in 3 runes game, I've heard this can be viable/good, but I'm not familiar with how to do that. I wouldn't do that, myself, but I wonder if it's too late to stop at this point - I mean, you can already cast it with brilliance/wizardry.

Edit: 12 pots of brilliance, you can actually use that Glaciate a bunch of times.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 27th December 2015, 14:45

I will do comment about your skills, because they're bad.
I mean, it's totally suboptimal to aim for glaciate|firestorm - and to a slightly lesser degree to tornado|shatter- in a 3 runes game - because skills cost, returns and bla blah, I guess you can still do it if really want without too much complications.
However it's certainly extremely bad and crippling to get two elemental skills so high.

What's your aim? Being unable to kill a rat in Depths because your only forms of offence are duplicates which provides the same benefits and drawbacks? While having low defences?
In a 3 rune game you should only specialize in 1 elemental skill if you really want - and I'd never go over 15ish anyway because it's very costly. The others can stay under 10ish which is very cheap to get.

If you hadn't waste so much experience on fire magic, you could have had a good weapon/better defences/other spells like charms,hexes,necro,summoning,whatever/better channelings methods.

At this point I'd say your best bets are on Snakes:4. The ghost should be this guy, which isn't a big threat. Certainly has a lot of HP, AC, and rc+++\rf+, so it may take forever to be killed. You should just keep exploring snakes 4, and try to OoD him from distance when appears. When failing, retreat to a staircase and go back to another. Just repeat.

For long term plans, if you survive, start to train melee skills\other spell schools - necro, charms, hexes, whatever good spawned - or other things. You could try to rush to glaciate as at this point it is at 28%, but even if it's close it to an acceptable failure rate it will still take enormous amount of experience to get online, and you could be easily get stuck again meanwhile. Probably just rely on wiz + brilliance the few times you'd need to cast it would be better Your call.
Drop that terrible cloak after clearing snakes.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 27th December 2015, 18:07

Dr skill aptitudes are good. Try winning Mu and then tell me that they are bad.

I have gotten a level 9 spell castable in a 3 rune game, on a minotaur no less, and it was perfectly fine. Ok, it was horribly suboptinal but that was because it was a minotaur. On something else it would have been fine.

Your fighting skill and dodging skill are both way too low. Your unarmed combat skill is too high. Don't train unarmed on a caster unless you are so far into extended it doesn't matter. Your maces & flails skill is either too low or too high: You either need to get it to min delay for a decent one-hander (there should be a demon whip somewhere by now) or not train the skill at all. Your throwing skill is probably too high. You don't have the experience available to make throwing stuff useful any time soon and early game blowguns work just fine a 0 skill. If you are trying to get glaciate online your conjurations skill should be about equal to your ice magic skill as you have flat apts and they are both equally important to getting glaciate online. If anything your conjurations skill should be higher because it affects your other damage spells and your damage spells are much higher level than your ice spells that are not conjurations. you have very Your spellcasting skill is too high. You are not a deep elf that can get spellcasting levels cheaply and you are not a Vine Stalker that finds max MP to be better than max HP. Your Fire magic skill is way to high if you are if you are planning to cast glaciate. Fire/ice both have the problem of being good vs non resistant foes and being bad/useless vs resistant ones, and there are plenty of things that resist both. Getting Iron shot would have been a much better investment because it works on everything and it wouldn't take as much exp in earth as you have dumped into fire. getting glaciate/firestorm is another way you can deal with resistant foes and you would have one online already if you hadn't split your exp so poorly.

It seems unlikely to me that there are no hats enchanted to at least +1 lying around, there are no hats at at least +0 lying around and no enchant armour scrolls left, and there are no +0 hats of intelligence even if you have no scrolls. If no hats have spawned or they are all +0 useful ego and there are no scroll of enchant armour ignore this. otherwise GET A HAT.

Look around for a ring/staff of wizardy, glaciate should be castable with either of them. A well enchanted ring of intelligence could also get you a lot closer to casting glaciate freely.

You have glaciate castable with brilliance already. You have 12 potions of brilliance. You can nuke the fuck out of twelve groups of your choosing. You could probably kill Margery right now if you use brilliance and geared up correctly.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Halls Hopper

Post Sunday, 27th December 2015, 20:24

How can spell casting, Ice, and Fire be to high? Bolt of cold and Fire still miscast a lot. I have had them miscast every time I try the and end up contaminated and then teleporting into a group of enemies.

If I try and stair dance I just run up into another group of enemies and have to escape up 3, 4, or 5 floors before can rest.

I tried a potion of Bril. and it didn't do anything but add INT. I checked the Spell listing and nothing had changed, not casting or power. The only use I see for them in when your getting INT drained.

How do you know what level some skill should be at? There are no numbers or detail description to tell what skill levels actually do. I keep raising spell levels hoping I can hit something. It can use all my MP just to kill a standard orc with Throw Ice, or Bolt of cold, or Bolt of fire. Many many times I have hit and enemy with first cast and then they regenerate HP before I can hit them again.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 28th December 2015, 00:46

your fire skill should probably be 0. That would free up a lot of extra skill points rather than being redundant with your ice skill. Getting spell at lower than 1% fail is not practical, you need a contigency plan when you fail multiple times in a row.

I have a feeling your tactics are as bad as your skilling. learn about breaking up packs. Also, try going down a different staircase when you go up near something dangerous.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
Remove food

For this message the author WingedEspeon has received thanks:
nago

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 28th December 2015, 01:25

WingedEspeon wrote:I have a feeling your tactics are as bad as your skilling. learn about breaking up packs. Also, try going down a different staircase when you go up near something dangerous.

Is there a list of good tactics or explanations of what to do in certain situations?
I have tried watching other players but you can't tell what they are doing. Generally it is also so slow that you see ever 4th turn or so.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Monday, 28th December 2015, 02:32

berder has a good tactics guide somewhere on these forums. Following it to the letter can get a bit tedious, but it does so a pretty good job.
Remove food

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 28th December 2015, 05:37

Dead again

See blademaster so I retreat and get pinned by archer. I didn't see anyway to get away. Tele wouldn't work fast enough, no more blink, couldn't heal faster than they were damaging me. What could of been done?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 28th December 2015, 06:30

Re: YASD - DrIE - what could do?

It is quite possible that your problem preceded spotting the blade master.

I am guessing, but if a blade master came at you from one side and an Archer came from the direction you were retreating to, then the most likely initial cause of your death was in the location of your fighting before either one came into view.

I suspect one or more of the following was likely true:

1. You explored to far in a single direction, every unexplored square adjacent to your explored ones is a place where bad things could come from, consequently to keep a safer path back to the stairs, you should generally expand your explored area roughly circularly, to expose the least of your retreat path to n potentially being cut off.

2. You fought to close to unexplored territory. Even inconsequential fights make noise, and the more unexplored territory that is near noise you make, the more likely it is that you will wake things and thereby get yourself into a bad situation.

3. You went into elf before you should have. While it sounds like you generally could manage most fights in elf, it is fairly likely that you will have to kill at least two harder critters at the same time at least once even if you are careful, if a blade master and Archer together could kill you easily, then perhaps you just went to elf to early.

4. You didn't practise 1 and 2 enough during play leading up to this point, which is why you didn't have enough resources (aka blink scrolls) to get yourself out of a bad, unlikely situation (which do come up no matter how careful you are. That is why you are careful in the first place, so you have the resources you need when things go horribly wrong)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
nago

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 4th January 2016, 17:44

nago wrote:Probably just rely on wiz + brilliance the few times you'd need to cast it

Wiz doesn't do anything once you quaff brilliance. Brilliance, among other things, maxes out your wizardry, so further wizardry is useless.

Lawndart Jedi wrote:I tried a potion of Bril. and it didn't do anything but add INT. I checked the Spell listing and nothing had changed, not casting or power. The only use I see for them in when your getting INT drained.

Odd. This isn't supposed to happen. (But this highlights BIG problem with brilliance since this experience is exactly what a newbie should actually expect.)

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too