YAVP - First roguelike Win EVER. DrWz - 5 runes.

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2011, 18:19

YAVP - First roguelike Win EVER. DrWz - 5 runes.

Hell YEAH! Finally! After playing roguelikes on and off over a few years I FINALLY did it!

And what a game it was. I started as a Draconian hoping for a red one - to someday be able to cast firestorm - which I have seen to great effect online. The first few levels were a breeze - I found a ring of magical power and could blast seemingly forever. What couldn't be blasted got a dose of mephitic cloud - and what couldn't be confused was lured into a corridor and blocked with a conjured flame.

With that strategy I got very far. To XP level 11 in fact, as I didn't find ANY books before. At that point I had already matured - and a purple dragon has Spellcasting +2. Nice! With the AC bonus from Draconians and two evasion items I was pretty robust. Still I blew my first scroll of aquirement on a spellbook.

After that things got simpler, Vehumet started gifting spellbooks and the Lair, Mines and Snake Pit 1-4 were smoked out with Fireballs and Orbs Of Destruction.

I tried using Summon Hydra - later with Haste, but they never lasted long enough to make a difference. Also the need to tell them to attack the mean mummy, blademaster and so on wasted a turn - in that time I could've casted 2 OoDs. Still was fun to play around with.

Mara decided to camp out in Vault 7 - and I had to dip through Vault 8 once to escape! After that I decided to come back with Firestorm. From Elf 5 I was banished to the Abyss and had a close encounter with an executioner (solved by lucky Blink and OoD) and after an eternity even found the rune! Oh and I visited Crypt as I was running out of 'easy' branches. Let me tell you, Crypt 5 was the single most awesome vault I've played, I'm ever so glad I haven't been spoiled.

Finally at XP level 24 I learned Firestorm. That changed the game. At that point I only had Slime, Vault 7+8 and Zot left as I didn't dare the hells. Slime was weird - somehow I killed the Royal Jelly, but didn't even notice. Oh and once I got teleported into a corner, surrounded by walls. Vault 7+8 felt like a reward for playing so long with only magic dart 8-) . And Zot 1-4 was stormed easily.

At that point I noticed that I only had one star fire resistance. I even considered going to Hell to find some better equipment! But I thought I could handle one or two orbs ...

Well, Zot 5 was it's own level of terrifying! The highlights: Cornered by a berserk ghost moth without any mana left. Some evil architect had placed a teleport trap on one of the inner vault entries - sometimes vault guardians would just pop up out of nowhere. SEVEN ancient liches! A pack of Draconians suddenly blocking the exit, while I'm running from an orb.

But I did it. Somehow. My first first roguelike win ever. Thank you.

http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/0.8/Zwo ... 170407.txt

For this message the author Zwobot has received thanks:
joellercoaster

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2011, 18:41

Re: YAVP - First roguelike Win EVER. DrWz - 5 runes.

Nicely done! First wins always seem to have the most dramatic moments as well.. savor them!
  Code:
Jory screams, "No, no!" before exploding into a cloud of blood!

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2011, 19:44

Well done.
You fall off the wall. You have a feeling of ineptitude.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 15th June 2011, 20:56

Congrats!

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 16th June 2011, 00:26

cool, do you ever call him Dr. Wizard?

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 16th June 2011, 08:06

Zwobot wrote:I tried using Summon Hydra - later with Haste, but they never lasted long enough to make a difference.

I have found this with Summon Hydra as well - it's relatively hard to get castable, relatively hard to use, and then almost entirely useless because they vanish before they take anything down - especially anything tough enough that you'd be pelting it with your big food-munching spells like SH.

(I experimented with wizmode too, maxed out the relevant skills, and still found it incredibly frustrating.)

Anyway. Congratulations, you picked a great Roguelike for your first win, hopefully you'll stick with it for a while longer :)
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 16th June 2011, 08:31

Congratulations!

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 16th June 2011, 10:17

Nicely written victory post, gratulations!
My first character who got a big bad spell (Tornado in my case) died some time later as it made me overconfident, good to see that you made it!
Check out my characters at Spielersofa (in German)

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too