Advice on mace weapon choice for my character?

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Jk

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 10th June 2014, 05:33

Advice on mace weapon choice for my character?

Hi there. I have a promising Gargoyle Fighter of Makhleb and I'm looking for some weapon advice. I have "Eos", a +11/+11 morningstar with elec. The main competition would be a +8/+3 flail with crushing and rC++, or a +2/+5 great mace with flaming (that I could spend all my enchantment scrolls on). My Maces & Flails skill is currently at 20, and I'm usually using two rings that combine for +12/+9 slaying bonus. I figure those rings mean I'd want to go with a fast weapon, and avoiding the 2-handers allows me to use a shield (although I only have a +2 shield of reflection). On the other hand, maybe that much slaying bonus is overkill and I should wear one of my other rings that provides resistances. I also have a +2/+4 morningstar of holy wrath; is the enchantment good enough against undead/demons to bother carrying it around if I use another?

Any other general advice on my character would be welcome! I haven't played for a long time and I'm having a lot of fun getting back into the crawl! Much appreciated.

Code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.14.0-2-gd2dacb9 (tiles) character file.

Wicker the Bludgeoner (Gargoyle Fighter)           Turns: 50841, Time: 06:45:06

HP 150/150       AC 50     Str 33      XL: 22   Next: 71%
MP  40/40        EV  8     Int 12      God: Makhleb [******]
Gold 3285        SH 32     Dex 11      Spells:  5 memorised, 27 levels left

rFire  . . .     SeeInvis +     A - +11 morningstar "Eos" {elec, -Tele rElec SInv}
rCold  + . .     Clarity  .     v - +2 plate armour
rNeg   + . .     Conserve +     b - +2 shield {reflect}
rPois  +         rCorr    .     e - +4 helmet "Thruwef" {rC+}
rElec  +         rRot     +     S - +0 cloak of Peiss {Str+3 Dex+2}
SustAb . .       Spirit   .     I - +2 pair of gloves {Str+3}
rMut   .         Warding  .     F - +1 pair of boots
Saprov . . .     NoTele   +     u - amulet of conservation
MR     +....                    B - +5,+3 ring of slaying
                                L - ring of Ysidain {rPois Acc+7 Dam+6 SInv}

@: somewhat resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: able to fly continuously, large and strong wings, high mp 1, life protection
1, electricity resistance, unbreathing, petrification resistance, AC +16
a: Fly, Minor Destruction, Lesser Servant of Makhleb, Major Destruction, Greater
Servant of Makhleb, Renounce Religion
}: 2/15 runes: decaying, serpentine

You are on level 2 of the Lair of Beasts.
You worship Makhleb.
Makhleb is exalted by your worship.
You are hungry.

You have visited 9 branches of the dungeon, and seen 48 of its levels.
You have visited the Abyss 1 time.
You have also visited: Labyrinth.

You have collected 5162 gold pieces.
You have spent 1877 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 c - a +2,+4 morningstar of holy wrath
 A - the +11,+11 morningstar "Eos" (weapon) {elec, -Tele rElec SInv}
   (You found it on level 2 of the Crypt)   

Occasionally, upon striking a foe, it will discharge some electrical energy
   and cause terrible harm.

It insulates you from electricity.
   It enhances your eyesight.
   It prevents most forms of teleportation.
 H - the cursed +8,+3 flail "Qeugum" {crush, rC++}
   (You found it on level 3 of the Lair of Beasts)   

It inflicts extra damage upon your enemies.

It greatly protects you from cold.
   It has a curse placed upon it.
 P - a +2,+5 great mace of flaming
Armour
 b - a +2 shield of reflection (worn)
 e - the +4 helmet "Thruwef" (worn) {rC+}
   (You found it on level 8 of the Lair of Beasts)   

It protects you from cold.
 v - a +2 plate armour (worn)
 x - the +1 helmet of Etas {Dex+3 Int+3}
   (You acquired it on level 2 of the Lair of Beasts)   

It affects your intelligence (+3).
   It affects your dexterity (+3).
 F - a +1 pair of boots (worn)
 I - a +2 pair of gloves of strength (worn)
 Q - the +6 scale mail of Makhleb's Generosity {Str+4 Dex+4}
   (You found it on level 3 of the Vaults)   

It affects your strength (+4).
   It affects your dexterity (+4).
 S - the +0 cloak of Peiss (worn) {Str+3 Dex+2}
   (You found it on level 8 of the Lair of Beasts)   

It affects your strength (+3).
   It affects your dexterity (+2).
Magical devices
 l - a wand of teleportation {zapped: 1}
 m - a wand of cold (5)
 z - a wand of disintegration
 N - a wand of fire
 W - a wand of digging (12)
Comestibles
 d - 9 sultanas
 f - 12 grapes
Jewellery
 h - an uncursed ring of sustenance
 i - an uncursed ring of teleport control
 k - the ring of the Turtledove {rN+ Dex+5 Int+4}
   (You found it on level 5 of the Crypt)   

[ring of positive energy]
   It affects your intelligence (+4).
   It affects your dexterity (+5).
 s - an uncursed amulet of warding
 u - an amulet of conservation (around neck)
 y - an uncursed transparent golden ring {tried, Str+3 Dex-3}
 B - a +5,+3 ring of slaying (right hand)
 E - the ring of Acyoll {rF+ Dex+3 Int+4 Acc+4}
   (You bought it in a shop on level 3 of the Orcish Mines)   

[ring of protection from fire]
   It affects your intelligence (+4).
   It affects your dexterity (+3).
   It affects your accuracy with ranged weapons and melee attacks (+4).
 G - an uncursed ring of protection from cold
 L - the ring of Ysidain (left hand) {rPois Acc+7 Dam+6 SInv}
   (You found it on level 13 of the Dungeon)   

[ring of slaying]
   It affects your accuracy with ranged weapons and melee attacks (+7).
   It affects your damage with ranged weapons and melee attacks (+6).
   It protects you from poison.
   It enhances your eyesight.
 U - an uncursed amulet of resist mutation
 V - the ring of Seuxzion {rN+ Str+2 Acc+3}
   (You found it on level 5 of the Crypt)   

[ring of positive energy]
   It affects your strength (+2).
   It affects your accuracy with ranged weapons and melee attacks (+3).
 Z - an uncursed ring of protection from fire

Skills:
 - Level 19.2 Fighting
 - Level 20.0 Maces & Flails
 - Level 0.4 Throwing
 - Level 17.0 Armour
 - Level 0.2 Stealth
 - Level 15.0 Shields
 + Level 10.8 Spellcasting
 + Level 13.3 Charms
 - Level 5.0 Translocations
 - Level 2.7 Air Magic
 - Level 10.0 Invocations
 - Level 7.0 Evocations

You have 27 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          10%         2    None
b - Regeneration          Chrm/Necr      ###.......   10%         3    ##.....
c - Swiftness             Chrm/Air       ####....     1%          2    None
d - Repel Missiles        Chrm/Air       ####..       1%          2    None
e - Haste                 Chrm           #####...     24%         6    ######.

Dungeon Overview and Level Annotations

Branches:
Dungeon (15/15)            Temple (1/1) D:6             Orc (4/4) D:11
    Elf (1/3) Orc:4          Lair (8/8) D:10          Swamp (5/5) Lair:6
  Snake (5/5) Lair:4        Slime (0/6) Lair:6       Vaults (4/5) D:14
  Blade (0/1) Vaults:3      Crypt (5/5) Vaults:3       Tomb (0/3) Crypt:3
 Depths (0/5) D:15       

Altars:
Ashenzari
Cheibriados
Dithmenos
Elyvilon
Fedhas
Kikubaaqudgha
Makhleb
Nemelex Xobeh
Okawaru
Sif Muna
Trog
Vehumet
Xom
Yredelemnul
Zin
The Shining One
Beogh

Shops:
D:4 =   D:7 [==   D:9 *   D:13 =   Orc:1 [%   Orc:2 [[   Orc:3 =   Orc:4 *([=   Elf:1 }   Snake:2 [   Vaults:3 [

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations

You are resistant to torment.
You are immune to poison.
You are immune to rotting.
You can fly continuously.
Your stone body is very resilient (AC +16).
Your wings are large and strong.
You resist negative energy.
You are resistant to electric shocks.
You can survive without breathing.
You are immune to petrification.
You have an increased reservoir of magic (+10% MP).

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 10th June 2014, 05:37

Re: Advice on mace weapon choice for my character?

You will never regret using Eos. The only reason you wouldn't use Eos is because you found a demon whip of elec with similar enchants. Everything else in your inventory is trash. :)

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 10th June 2014, 09:23

seems like you'll be better off with Eos since you have a lot of slaying and you are wearing a shield.

jk wrote:On the other hand, maybe that much slaying bonus is overkill and I should wear one of my other rings that provides resistances. I also have a +2/+4 morningstar of holy wrath; is the enchantment good enough against undead/demons to bother carrying it around if I use another?

weapon swapping and ring swapping takes little time. If you see a dangerous baddy then you can simply swap your gear unlike armors where it takes a lot of time to swap

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 10th June 2014, 13:55

Jk wrote:My Maces & Flails skill is currently at 20, and I'm usually using two rings that combine for +12/+9 slaying bonus. I figure those rings mean I'd want to go with a fast weapon, and avoiding the 2-handers allows me to use a shield (although I only have a +2 shield of reflection).

Speed is a non-factor here. With your weapon skill, both morning stars and great maces reach the same minimum delay of 0.7. Still, the brand and damage bonus on the morning star are good enough that it's worth using to keep a shield on. Just don't forget about the -Tele. (The flail was never worthy of any consideration, by the way.)

Jk

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 10th June 2014, 19:15

Thanks for your advice!

As a followup, what direction do you think I should take this guy? I feel like it's time I work up the spellcasting skills, focused on combat-assistance (charms for Haste especially). Also, I'm a Gargoyle so I've been rolling with a +2 plate mail due to the GDR, but might it be better to go with the +6 scale mail of Makhleb's Generosity {Str+4 Dex+4}? I know I'll be looking out for a Fire Dragon armor to enchant since my resistances are so poor, but in the meantime I'm not sure whether to focus on my already-high AC or try to become more well-rounded. I'll definitely be raising INT from here on out... I think I overdid the strength :)

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 10th June 2014, 21:09

I would take the stat boosts over GDR.

In the dump above are you carrying no scrolls/potions whatsoever?
Wins (Does not include my GrEE^Veh 15-runer...stupid experimental branch)

Jk

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 10th June 2014, 23:00

I had just dropped them to organize my things; I'm carrying about half my escape/healing/buffing potions and scrolls.

Any suggestions on other spells I should aim for, since I'm wearing this lighter armor? It seems I have long range damage and allies taken care of through Makhleb, so conjuration and summoning aren't that necessary. I'm currently working up Charms (have memorized Regeneration, Swiftness, Repel Missiles, Haste). I wonder if maybe I should work towards Silence so I can close the distance to casters more easily to engage them in melee, so Hexes/Air. Or maybe Statue Form would be the better route to aim towards with Transmutation/Earth? I'm not sure what weaknesses I have right now, but I suspect its mostly towards strong ranged casters given my lack of resistances.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 10th June 2014, 23:16

Well, if you trained a bit of dodging, that randart scale mail of +4 str and +4 dex would be comparable to the plate in terms of overall defenses, and the scale mail would be easier to cast in. So if you want to get some casting, go with that.

You could switch to an FDA later if you wanted, but only if you get enough ?enchant armour to make it worthwhile; in any case, I'd go ahead and bring those boots up to +2 first.

You can probably take losing the +3 damage ring in exchange for that really nice randart rF+ ring that gives +dex and +int, and that would give this character great resistances right up until Zot, at which point being able to get rF++ does admittedly make OoF less scary. (But you can get another pip of rF+ from some potions of resistance if needed, so really, you are still set without having to change armor, so long as you got some of those potions.)

The only resistance problem this character has is that it has terrible MR. And FDA doesn't help with that.

So in short: I'd wear that scale mail, enchant the boots, equip that nice ring of stat ups and rF+ instead of the lower slaying one, train some dodging, get casting, and forget about FDA. Keep an eye out for MR+.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 11th June 2014, 00:19

Jk wrote:I had just dropped them to organize my things; I'm carrying about half my escape/healing/buffing potions and scrolls.

Any suggestions on other spells I should aim for, since I'm wearing this lighter armor? It seems I have long range damage and allies taken care of through Makhleb, so conjuration and summoning aren't that necessary. I'm currently working up Charms (have memorized Regeneration, Swiftness, Repel Missiles, Haste). I wonder if maybe I should work towards Silence so I can close the distance to casters more easily to engage them in melee, so Hexes/Air. Or maybe Statue Form would be the better route to aim towards with Transmutation/Earth? I'm not sure what weaknesses I have right now, but I suspect its mostly towards strong ranged casters given my lack of resistances.
I would go for Silence; wouldnt go for Statue Form, Gargolye is already an statue. :)
You have 27 spells levels left, turn off Spellcasting skill.
~online scoring~

Pig's in zen
Pig is nude
Unashamed

Jk

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 11th June 2014, 00:41

and into wrote:Well, if you trained a bit of dodging, that randart scale mail of +4 str and +4 dex would be comparable to the plate in terms of overall defenses, and the scale mail would be easier to cast in. So if you want to get some casting, go with that.

Does dodging get reduced by the heavy armor I wear? I'm not sure exactly how that works, but I had been avoiding dodging in favor of the heavy armor. How high does it make sense to raise dodging given my armor?

and into wrote:You could switch to an FDA later if you wanted, but only if you get enough ?enchant armour to make it worthwhile; in any case, I'd go ahead and bring those boots up to +2 first.

FDA is fire dragon armor I assume? I've got 8 enchant armor scrolls in my stash, so I have been keeping my eyes open for some dragons. When I get to Vaults:8 I'll probably make a final decision on that front.

and into wrote:You can probably take losing the +3 damage ring in exchange for that really nice randart rF+ ring that gives +dex and +int, and that would give this character great resistances right up until Zot, at which point being able to get rF++ does admittedly make OoF less scary.

OoF = Orbs of fire? Okay, yeah this makes a lot of sense. I had been under the impression that the +dex and +int wasn't all that useful, but it's sounding like they're important enough. I guess now that I'm working more towards casting, bumping my int from 12 to 16 is a big change.

I also realize I could switch out the crazy good slaying ring for a simple rF+ ring when necessary, since i have sInv on my weapon too.

and into wrote:The only resistance problem this character has is that it has terrible MR. And FDA doesn't help with that. So in short: I'd wear that scale mail, enchant the boots, equip that nice ring of stat ups and rF+ instead of the lower slaying one, train some dodging, get casting, and forget about FDA. Keep an eye out for MR+.

Yeah, I tried Elven Halls and was basically immediately tossed into the Abyss. I knew that would be a problem, but I don't have a lot of other places to go right now. I basically just need to look for better randarts? I've not found a single one with MR, aside from a basic robe. Other than the Abyss, which isn't such a bad result, I'm also susceptible to things like confusion and paralysis, right? That's already gotten me in some trouble :/

Eyesburn wrote:I would go for Silence; wouldnt go for Statue Form, Gargolye is already an statue. :)
You have 27 spells levels left, turn off Spellcasting skill.

Thanks, I think Silence does make sense. As for Spellcasting, don't I need that to improve the hunger costs and such? Or are the spell schools more important for that?

Barkeep

Post Wednesday, 11th June 2014, 05:40

Well, you said you wanted to cast on this guy, in which case that artefact scale mail makes a lot of sense. I didn't know that you had eight scrolls of enchant armor on hand, that certainly makes enchanting dragon hides much more viable. You could go with either, really.

Don't take the ring of Ysidain off of this character, it is strictly better than the ring of slaying. Your +5, +3 ring of slaying is solid but for this particular character, I think that randart ring with rF+ is better than +1 accuracy and +3 dam.

You were right about all the abbreviations/shorthands, sorry if they were confusing.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too