YASD: Attack of the horrible luck

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 2nd April 2011, 21:22

YASD: Attack of the horrible luck

As it says on thousand ways to die, most of us struggle to avoid death, and some cant' seem to get out of it's way.

I seem to fall under that second category. I'm a fairly cautious player in games, so I don't tend to die in straight combat... but I do seem to die in ways that to me right now seem to be utterly unavoidable.

So far I've played about an hour or two and have died in the following ways.

1: Unallowed to attack due to my shield being in the way every round despite never doing that before, attempt to flee thwarted by the fact that the enemy moves exactly the same as me and follows despite all maneuvers.

2: Walking to a corner to heal and triggered spear trap.

3: Poisoned at 25 health left and no healing potions, and poison never wore off.

4: Created a summoner to keep myself safe from direct combat; fumbled a cast and was attacked by several imps.

5: Entered small area with several entry points and was swarmed by 5 enemies that each moved fast enough to chase and hit in the same turn.

6: In large empty room after killing everything, attempted to chop a piece of meat and suddenly 3 Wargs appeared around me.

At this point I am considering renaming my character Kenny. Are there ways to avoid deaths like this or is it purely chance and luck as far as these go?

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 3rd April 2011, 00:28

Re: YASD: Attack of the horrible luck

I haven't noticed enemies getting lost when i run straight away; more often I seem to run into a lot of enemies that can move to catch up to me, then attack me in the same turn XD

It was a room that I had already 'explored' I was moving to a corner to get away from the unknown area to avoid my rest being interrupted. apparently there was one tile I hadn't stepped on ><

That particular instance, I was dropped down a shaft and had to deal with the thing; also, I am still having issues running away in general ><

yeah it was a spell rated 'very good' that is a bit misleading

I do try to narrow them down to 1 on 1, but so many enemies in a row was too much for my character to deal with in endurance.

I seem to be on .7.2 where is .8? I downloaded from the main link which i had thought would be the most current version. And yeah; I noticed that about heavier armors; they all seemed to be basically 2 points of protection because they reduced evade by the same amount AC would go up. ><

I just tried; and found that I can't choose berserker for Kobold or Halfling.

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 3rd April 2011, 01:22

Ooooh, that opens up a lot of possibilities actually. There are a few races that seem like they would be good with a certain class that was grayed out.

Got another horrible luck death; this one is terrible spawns. 2nd floor, there were 6 named enemies. Including this one 'Prince Ribbit' that hit for over half my health in one shot and can blink. Escaping to the third floor was thwarted by it being a single hallway with a jelly I could not beat in one stairs, and the other stairs I could find led to a mini-area that didn't go anywhere. Only survived as long as I did by spamming teleport scrolls to escape battle repeatedly ><

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 3rd April 2011, 04:33

2nd floor, there were 6 named enemies. Including this one 'Prince Ribbit' that hit for over half my health in one shot and can blink.

WOW :o
Last edited by pratamawirya on Sunday, 3rd April 2011, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 3rd April 2011, 08:05

Yeah, although the deaths in your first post were generally avoidable, running into Price Ribbit too early in an awkward place doesn't fall into that bucket! You were quite possibly doomed - it does happen. Although, weirdly, his blinking is something that can save you if you're lucky.

Keep playing, a lot of this stuff is just practice. A big part of the running away thing is knowing to run early enough - lots of things are as fast or faster than you, so staying out of situations where that's a problem (even before you ever see them) is kind of a knack that comes with time.
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Mines Malingerer

Post Sunday, 3rd April 2011, 23:40

minmay wrote:Prince Ribbit doesn't appear before D:4, though even on D:4 he is in my opinion the deadliest unique in the game.

As many as five uniques can be on D:2. Ijyb, Jessica, Sigmund, Terence, and Crazy Yiuf.

I don't remember going down more than one flight of stairs in that run; I know it was Prince Ribbit though, he was rather memorable.

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too