YAFVP: MDFi Okawaru

Yet Another Stupid Death - Find a particularly innovative way to get killed? Share your pain!
Yet Another Victory Post - Brag about your bad-ass character and all your runes and whatnot.
Characters in Progress - share promising or interesting characters that are not dead yet.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Saturday, 12th March 2011, 22:35

YAFVP: MDFi Okawaru

http://crawl.develz.org/morgues/trunk/M ... 215624.txt

Probably the most boring game I've ever played, but I really really really wanted to get a win with Okawaru. It was a very straightforward game, and I never got any really good equipment despite staying with Okawaru all game, except for the wonderful Crystal Plate he gifted me midgame. Never found any decent artifacts, and ended up doing Zot with only RC+ RN+ Relec, RPois and NO fire resistance.

Had a nice break in the midgame where I quaffed a !Mut and got the movement speed mutation, which served me well for most of the game until I had to drink a !CMut to get rid of some nasty mutations.

I ran into a draconian fortress on D:27, and it was really a pain. There must have been 15 or so death drakes there that I killed, and in total they sapped over 40 of my max HP. I was able to recoup them later with about 12 !oEHs, but maaaaan.... Is there a good way of mitigating the MAX-HP-reducing effect of the death drake's break (other than avoiding the thing)?

Killed Boris a total of 4 times, which was a personal record. Mennas and Mara were both surprisingly easy with a defensive Okawaru fighter.

I will say that in the late game, heroism is nigh useless because you've already nearly maxed out all of the stats that you care about. Finesse though, still is very useful, but comes at a very high piety cost. I found myself using my /oHasting instead of finesse since I had so many ?oCharging. Okuwaru is a bad late-game god.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 13th March 2011, 03:27

Re: YAFVP: MDFi Okawaru

Heroism + pure fighter = not so good.

Heroism + hybrid fighter-mage = very nice (because it allows you to safely invest your EXP on magic skills).

:)

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 13th March 2011, 10:56

Re: YAFVP: MDFi Okawaru

Nice one... Zot with those resistances must have been no joke.

Terpsichore didn't give you much trouble?
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Return to YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too