Proposal: how to REPLY in GDD

Here's where you can make suggestions for new forums & categories, voice your opinion about the forum, etc.

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 15:40

Proposal: how to REPLY in GDD

As suggested in the GDD thread, maybe we should make a sticky on how to reply to threads in GDD?

Here are just some ideas to get hue ball rolling, I'll give a throw in some more detailed ideas as the day goes on:

- clearly outline your opinion and Summarize your reasoning in the first sentence, then explain in detail in the rest.
- do not be overly brief and cynical, things like "please don't add more useless spells into the game" should not be acceptable.
- if you feel offended by the way someone says something, private message them instead of publicly argue with them.

Thoughts?
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 16:11

Re: Proposal: how to REPLY in GDD

I added a couple of points to the existing readme (seems fine to just have one thread for it), with some of pubby's suggestions from the other thread too. Can edit/add to it if there are more ideas, yeah.

For this message the author Kate has received thanks:
galehar

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 16:23

MarvinPA wrote:I added a couple of points to the existing readme (seems fine to just have one thread for it), with some of pubby's suggestions from the other thread too. Can edit/add to it if there are more ideas, yeah.

Thank you, much appreciated Marvin. :)
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 16th January 2014, 20:43

My biggest one would just be "have empathy". I especially feel bad when new members are treated poorly, because that first immediate bad impression has a much larger impact than on a long-time poster. And try to give people the benefit of the doubt, being misguided is not a crime and people shouldn't be verbally chastised for it.

Also I have to say that in general I am a little glad there are fights like recently. It shows people care and are invested. Apathy and lack of responses is much more toxic to the game than unnecessary snarkiness and hurt feelings.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 17th January 2014, 08:38

Maybe add a "take your time : If you wan't to answer a particular post under emotive treshold, wait half a day, and rewrite your reply."

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 17th January 2014, 17:26

That's similar to my general posting rule: if you find yourself being overly sarcastic or negative, hit ctrl-w. Don't come back to the thread until you can write what you want to say without resorting to insults.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 27th January 2014, 18:56

Added some of the above suggestions.

For this message the author Grimm has received thanks:
WalkerBoh

Return to Suggestions & Criticism