Untapatalk?

Here's where you can make suggestions for new forums & categories, voice your opinion about the forum, etc.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 22nd June 2017, 15:49

Untapatalk?

When I tried Tapatalk, I found it very bad, and that using the browser version was much better, even with very scarce Internet availability per month. It has a few decisive problems -- it is unwieldy, it's hard to understand what content it considers more important, it mixes up with other forums... I don't seem to be the only one who wouldn't use it again. Another problem is that, when visiting the website from the browser on a phone, sometimes the forum doesn't load, showing only a Tapatalk background. Reloading the page hasn't helped me in these cases, and I had to open a new tab to make the forum work properly.
So my question is whether it would be worth it to remove Tapatalk support from the forum. Does it actually add many users? I only found 164 posts containing "Tapatalk", and these also count the ones in the discussions about Tapatalk and the ones quoting the messages sent with Tapatalk. Or is there a version that doesn't add the Tapatalk line?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 22nd June 2017, 16:13

Re: Untapatalk?

Shtopit wrote:When I tried Tapatalk, I found it very bad, and that using the browser version was much better, even with very scarce Internet availability per month. It has a few decisive problems -- it is unwieldy, it's hard to understand what content it considers more important, it mixes up with other forums... I don't seem to be the only one who wouldn't use it again. Another problem is that, when visiting the website from the browser on a phone, sometimes the forum doesn't load, showing only a Tapatalk background. Reloading the page hasn't helped me in these cases, and I had to open a new tab to make the forum work properly.
So my question is whether it would be worth it to remove Tapatalk support from the forum. Does it actually add many users? I only found 164 posts containing "Tapatalk", and these also count the ones in the discussions about Tapatalk and the ones quoting the messages sent with Tapatalk. Or is there a version that doesn't add the Tapatalk line?

You can turn off the tag line, you can also turn off the "other forums" junk, it takes a few minutes with the settings to get it working in a "normal" way, i use tapatalk for about 2/3 of my forum browsing, because the mobile web version is bad in my phone's browser.
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 22nd June 2017, 16:30

Wait, is there a mobile version of the forum?
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 22nd June 2017, 18:13

VeryAngryFelid wrote:Wait, is there a mobile version of the forum?

No, there isnt, as a result my mobile browser does "something" and it is annoying, but if i am willing to spend a bunch of time zooming in and out of stuff it is usable, if there was a proper mobile optimized style sheet for the forum i probably wouldn't use tapatalk...

I should have said "the forums as rendered by my mobile browser" not "the mobile web version of the forums"
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Barkeep

Post Friday, 23rd June 2017, 01:24

In the past, Tapatalk has also done obnoxious things like leak ban notifications. I've always found it incredibly obnoxious to boot and experience the same bug when loading the forum that Shtopit mentioned. I wouldn't mind seeing it go.

OTOH, I don't know that anybody on the mod team has experience handling the forum's style sheets, and we wouldn't want to take mobile browsing away from people who don't have another way to get here. Not to mention that I think only Napkin has permissions at that level, though I haven't spent enough time in the administrative panels to be sure. In other words: patches welcome!

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 12th September 2017, 19:09

Tapatalk on my iphone doesn't respect code tags. So when someone properly tags a character dump, I have to scroll all the way through it in order to get to the rest of the comment thread. Deleted tapatalk.
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 15th September 2017, 17:00

Does anyone know if it's possible to see people's signatures on Tapatalk ?
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 26th September 2017, 18:02

Apparently there's an open source tapatalk clone that can use tapatalk forums:
http://www.siilihai.com/

I haven't tried it yet and tapatalk is still annoying but at least with that it's offensive.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 26th September 2017, 18:47

johlstei wrote:Apparently there's an open source tapatalk clone that can use tapatalk forums:
http://www.siilihai.com/

I haven't tried it yet and tapatalk is still annoying but at least with that it's offensive.

Unfortunately, that just crashes on my phone.

Return to Suggestions & Criticism