Thoughts on the community

Here's where you can make suggestions for new forums & categories, voice your opinion about the forum, etc.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 18th February 2017, 17:32

Thoughts on the community

My recent experiment didn't take long. This community continues to confuse me. We've got longstanding respected members of the community whom frequently make posts such as (within the past week or so):

"Monster spines are stupid and pointless and shouldn't exist"
"too bad he made it up and abyss is going to continue making games suck"
"Vampire should have one state: removed"
"no, it still sucks"
"intentionally getting abyssal rune as your third rune is already idiotic unless you're worshipping lugonu"
"this is a terrible suggestion."

And so on. I made two posts agreeing with other posters' suggestions to change or remove things. I agreed that spiny frogs' names were confusingly based on flavor alone and did not come with an interesting mechanic, and I agreed with another poster that torment should be removed because I only ever found it to be an annoyance. My posts were promptly deleted and that account was permanently banned.

Why is that? I love the game Crawl, but the community here continues to perplex me. It continues to become more toxic, elitist, and dismissive of opinions that don't come from the vetted members of the community whom have apparently earned the right to be rude, nasty, and condescending without suffering the consequences that are reserved only for newer posters whom go against the grain of the "good old boys".

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 18th February 2017, 19:07

Re: Thoughts on the community

Bribes and blackmail only way to rise to the top.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 18th February 2017, 19:19

For some reason I doubt the posts you mention were the reason you were banned

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Saturday, 18th February 2017, 21:04

duvessa wrote:For some reason I doubt the posts you mention were the reason you were banned

If it was something else, I'm as interested as anyone to learn what it was. I set up the account, posted those two posts, and that was it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 18th February 2017, 21:11

evomer wrote:
duvessa wrote:For some reason I doubt the posts you mention were the reason you were banned

If it was something else, I'm as interested as anyone to learn what it was. I set up the account, posted those two posts, and that was it.

I would, personally, suspect that you were associated with a different, already banned account.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 18th February 2017, 23:27

...so don't be surprised if you get banned again...
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 19th February 2017, 01:58

I think you're the guy who made the "remove" or "removed" account, right, the one with trashcan avatar? I don't think the mods here like joke/thematic accounts. I still miss BAD POST THANKER.

For this message the author Sar has received thanks:
GOOD_POST_THANKER

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 19th February 2017, 03:50

evomer wrote:

Have you tried PMing the mods? Seems to be the obvious thing to do if you want to know why you were banned.

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 19th February 2017, 15:05

To the best of my knowledge, remove/evomer are not dummy accounts for another poster. I believe that he was seen to be a troll/puppet account. We're resolving the situation by email.

Return to Suggestions & Criticism