game design subsections

Here's where you can make suggestions for new forums & categories, voice your opinion about the forum, etc.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 15:30

game design subsections

I suggest subsections of the game design forum:

(1) one for ideas which are on the will-not-do list.
(2) another for ideas which any dev who sees and likes can move them to. Basically a likely-to-do list where mainly good ideas would accumulate.

Essentially then we'd have 3 lists. One where new ideas are posted, one where ideas which will never be considered can be moved to and if people really want to discuss them, it will be out of the way and one with basically a treasure trove of everyone's good ideas to potentially pull "implementables" from.

Server Admin

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 16:29

Re: game design subsections

A forum is a far inferior place for such things. Additionally it'll require man power and discussions would be split between wiki & forum. I do not like that idea.
Please report bugs to the bug tracker, and leave feedback on the development wiki. Thank you!

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 6th January 2011, 17:47

Having the forum is great, and it's already beneficial for getting feedback and ideas. The many "what is tedious/overpowered/etc" threads are my personal favourite. However, we devs have felt that we specifically do not want another official/formal development channel to follow up on. That is why we cut out FR categories from the bug tracker and want all related input to go to the wiki.

Worthwhile ideas that come out of the forum threads should be inserted to the wiki. Someone who knows how the wiki works and is operated, and feels like doing favours, can help others by inserting their ideas to the wiki if they don't feel like learning the ropes. People can also encourage others to insert their ideas there, hopefully only after they've been thoroughly discussed here, as that would get the most benefit out of the forum format.

--Eino

For this message the author evktalo has received thanks:
Napkin

Vestibule Violator

Post Friday, 7th January 2011, 07:42

Yeah, that's been the approach from the start - the forum is a good place to thrash out ideas first, and then they go to the wiki if they seem promising. Naturally there's nothing stopping an idea from being put on the wiki without going here first.

The point about the "Won't do" list is a good one though. Rather than a subforum though there should be a sticky that links to the "won't do" list on the wiki. Maybe this could be added to Galehar's sticky, or is it already there along with the link to the game design philosophy?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 20th January 2011, 10:49

Hi, this is my first post - but I've been an active player on CAO/CDO for some years, and a silent admirer of the game and its' developers. (Only one win though :).

I think the forum is great, the wiki is best suited for a little bit more polished ideas and opinions, those that worked out so its worth to show them to the devs. I think if one thread has ideas of this kind, we may find someone who will copy them to the wiki for the devs. Those who like the game, usually also like to talk a LOT about it - a dev need not to read all of it.

What I've been wondering, that it would be good to have a subcategory in the game design section for those - like myself - who like to try out the latest trunk version and occasionaly other branches (like the (g)nome branch). I'd like to discuss the latest changes of the game - my experiences with them, that they're good or bad, what direction they move the game etc. Not for new ideas not yet implemented, but for feedback on the latest changes, or feedback for the state of other branches not (yet) merged into trunk. (I'm aware that for real feedback for the devs there's the wiki - but I also think it's worth to first to collect various player's opinions before showing it to the devs.)

(Sorry for my poor english, I hope I made myself clear.)

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 20th January 2011, 11:47

sanka wrote:Hi, this is my first post - but I've been an active player on CAO/CDO for some years, and a silent admirer of the game and its' developers. (Only one win though :).

I think the forum is great, the wiki is best suited for a little bit more polished ideas and opinions, those that worked out so its worth to show them to the devs. I think if one thread has ideas of this kind, we may find someone who will copy them to the wiki for the devs. Those who like the game, usually also like to talk a LOT about it - a dev need not to read all of it.

What I've been wondering, that it would be good to have a subcategory in the game design section for those - like myself - who like to try out the latest trunk version and occasionaly other branches (like the (g)nome branch). I'd like to discuss the latest changes of the game - my experiences with them, that they're good or bad, what direction they move the game etc. Not for new ideas not yet implemented, but for feedback on the latest changes, or feedback for the state of other branches not (yet) merged into trunk. (I'm aware that for real feedback for the devs there's the wiki - but I also think it's worth to first to collect various player's opinions before showing it to the devs.)

(Sorry for my poor english, I hope I made myself clear.)

You've made yourself perfectly clear! We always like good feedback. You can do it in the game design section. We talk mostly about the trunk version anyway. I don't think splitting the forum between new ideas and feedback on existing stuff would help, because as the discussion goes on, the line gets blurred quickly. We did the split on the wiki but later reverted it.
Also, not all the devs read the forum, but several do (evktalo, jpeg, dpeg and myself at least).
<+Grunt> You dereference an invalid pointer! Ouch! That really hurt! The game dies...

Return to Suggestions & Criticism