"autist" censored?

Here's where you can make suggestions for new forums & categories, voice your opinion about the forum, etc.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2016, 18:08

"autist" censored?

I appologize in advance if this is in the wrong section but I didn't know where to post this because it is not about the forum itself - it is about the comment section in https://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/craw ... ugh-memory.

I noticed something strange. Comment number 7 is from a person nicknamed "a****t". But a few days ago, it read "autist". Note that this has nothing to do with what that person wrote.

My question is why or how this happened? If, for the off-chance that this word was cencored, I hereby humbly ask you to undo that.

Autist is not a swear word. Treating it like one would only feed the horrible internet (and sadly, also real life) trend of using "autist", "autistic", "asperger" etc. as an insult.

Autistic people are not stupid, they are not unable to cry, they are not unable to love, they are not unable to feel compassion, they are not indifferent egomaniacs,
or "fullfil" any other malevolent prejudices and misconceptions that ignorant people may have.

Thank you.

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 23rd November 2016, 21:18

Re: "autist" censored?

There are many words which are not inherently bad words but which are routinely misused by the internet. "Autist" is one of them.

Having said that, ***ing it out seems weird. I would have preferred deleting it.

For this message the author chequers has received thanks: 4
archaeo, Arrhythmia, duvessa, ZipZipskins

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 29th November 2016, 17:04

chequers wrote:There are many words which are not inherently bad words but which are routinely misused by the internet. "Autist" is one of them.

Having said that, ***ing it out seems weird. I would have preferred deleting it.

In this particular instance however, I cannot see it being used as an insult at all. It doesn't read "you (insult), (insult), (insult) autist. It's just a nickname.
And why remove it? How would that even work? Then "nobody" made a comment? A voice from the off? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 29th November 2016, 19:21

The Tavern moderators are not the ones who oversee the blog's comment section. I honestly have no idea who does that, probably one of the devs.

That said, I agree with chequers. I would've removed the comment and emailed/PM'd the user to let them know they need to change their username to post here. If someone registered a username like that on Tavern, I would probably do just that.

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments on the stigmatization of autism, but I think usernames like "autist" also contribute to said stigma, especially given its common uses in the wider gaming community. Language like that defines a person by their psychological differences first and foremost; it's virtually the same thing as calling someone a "retard," as far as I'm concerned.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, duvessa, removeelyvilon

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 29th November 2016, 19:41

If it were possible to stop registration if the username makes the filter activate, it would solve the core problem (usernames as *******)

As for autistic being an insult (I don't really use autist, in my language it would mean taxi driver, but in general I don't think it's standard English?), I guess it can be. In general, using it as a username is like making fun of the autistic, so it's a sort-of-racist behaviour. It's like having HIV-Positive as username, I don't think I'd allow it.

The fact that I have only found "autist" used as an insult (unlike autistic, which has its legitimate uses) makes me think at least this variant should be filtered. After all, this is a gamer forum, it's not like we need to routinely discuss health disorders.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 29th November 2016, 19:44

I've never messed with the registration filter, but in general, we have few enough users that dealing with people on a case-by-case basis tends to do the trick.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 2nd December 2016, 14:42

There is a word I used here that had been used dozens of times for a metaphor of dying a brutal YASD in this forum back when I joined.

When I used it somewhat recently (read six to sixteen months, i don't remember), it got censored and I had some brief PM talk with moderators about using the word.

Not saying anything about how to run this forum or anything but I DID NOT KNOW THAT WAS BAD BECAUSE I HAD SEEN IT USED SO MANY TIMES!

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 2nd December 2016, 22:05

That's easy to explain:

(Also, sanitising the whole forum history would be a horrible job that nobody wants to do)

For this message the author chequers has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, duvessa

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 3rd December 2016, 05:49

Thank you for making an earnest comment looking like it was made by an infantile.

This was few years ago, not around WW2.
Last edited by archaeo on Saturday, 3rd December 2016, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod edit, removed phrase

Zot Zealot

Post Saturday, 3rd December 2016, 08:32

What I'm saying is: bad things were said in the past. That fact people are tricked by this history into thinking certain words are ok is a problem, but it's a problem with the forum having junk in its history, not with the people who were tricked.

Yes, the bad history is recent, when it comes to crawl.

For this message the author chequers has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, duvessa

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 8th December 2016, 20:05

Rename him "likes trains".

For this message the author johlstei has received thanks:
Rast

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 12th December 2016, 13:50

Yeah, rename them to an oft-repeated stereotype about autistic people, that'll show them!

For this message the author ZipZipskins has received thanks:
duvessa

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 3rd January 2017, 21:17

Yeah that was in poor taste, sorry.

For this message the author johlstei has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, ZipZipskins

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 5th January 2017, 04:46

rename everyone that trains rock