forbid touchy subject matters

Here's where you can make suggestions for new forums & categories, voice your opinion about the forum, etc.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 11th June 2016, 08:05

forbid touchy subject matters

The recent gender politics thread is instructive. 3-4 posts were rude, in a thread of 119 posts. Not exactly acid rain.

IMO, discussing the worldviews DCSS reflects and propagates is good (if not perfect) for CYC, but it was established that there is an ongoing mod effort to nix such topics.

When such a thread comes up, it is allowed to linger instead of being removed as soon as possible, and a dialogue emerges.

Generally, aside from behind-the-scenes code stuff, a lot more gets discussed than done, so if something gets done, one may reasonably expect it to be discussed. This can be productive. But in this case and others, a side demonstrates supreme confidence, yet little elaboration, which naturally provokes probing and guesswork from the other side, and then... this elicits more of the same, somehow: several people put their finger on the needle and the record starts skipping.

(Do not make fun of those who may not have progressed to your conviction, nor deny their confusion,
when to dismiss aesthetic choices of previous devs is fine,
to criticize aesthetic choices of current devs is unacceptable,
yet to be a conservative old fart and say "Gimme my [tradition] and bugger off!" is a stance to be proud of.)

Mods allow this talk to generate, even explicitly herald that it is possible, yet studiously avoid the salient points while actively participating, and tease with the possibility of resolution and understanding. To never be able to get any hopes up would be a welcome relief. I reviewed the forum rules and "You do not talk about about gender." is not one of them. I believe if something can shut down people's willingness to communicate on such a basic level, that's an issue that these opt-in forums don't have sufficient tools to tackle. Like running an FPS on the DCSS game engine, it's not going to happen. Outright banning gender-talk would be an improvement over the current situation. Simple, and if anyone asks, say: yes, we do and change a lot around here, but this thing here? do not talk about it, it is off-limits; just let us do this, no talking! What good does pretending to be okay with talking about gender do?
Last edited by archaeo on Saturday, 11th June 2016, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: magipi is right

For this message the author HardboiledGargoyle has received thanks: 2
Sar, ThreeInvisibleDucks

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Saturday, 11th June 2016, 08:14

Re: forbid touchy subject matters

You misplaced this thread (again). This is CYC. "Suggestions & Criticism" section is here: viewforum.php?f=11

For this message the author Magipi has received thanks:
archaeo

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 11th June 2016, 08:36

this is my home...

For this message the author HardboiledGargoyle has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, n1000, Sar, Tiktacy

Vestibule Violator

Post Saturday, 11th June 2016, 09:35

HardboiledGargoyle wrote:this is my home...

I cannot believe how hard this made me laugh.
To all new players: Ignore all strategy guides posted on the wiki, ask questions in the Advice forum, players with lots of posts normally have the best advice.

crawl.akrasiac.org:8080 <- take this link to play online or spectate.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 11th June 2016, 14:53

HardboiledGargoyle wrote:this is my home...

I guess i will just leave then.
You shall never see my color again.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 11th June 2016, 17:37

Don't worry, many places exist that are home to more than one entity. This is one of them. And even if you don't feel it's yours that wouldn't mean you're not welcome.

Return to Suggestions & Criticism