Proposal: Tavern Reorganization

Here's where you can make suggestions for new forums & categories, voice your opinion about the forum, etc.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 8th October 2016, 07:22

Re: Proposal: Tavern Reorganization

For the sake of clarity, would such a change make threads like viewtopic.php?f=17&t=21745 , viewtopic.php?f=17&t=21753 and viewtopic.php?f=17&t=20375 illegal?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Barkeep

Post Sunday, 9th October 2016, 00:52

All of those seem fine, and even things that are slightly more tangential, like the jokey lawyer thread don't bother me. I think the forum would benefit from a slightly tighter focus on Crawl and the community, however, a limit we don't really enforce in CYC right now.

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 9th October 2016, 04:12

See, this is exactly what I meant by a joke forum. The threads Shtopit referenced clearly don't fit in a "general crawl discussion" thread. They aren't serious threads about crawl. They're jokes.

Barkeep

Post Monday, 10th October 2016, 18:48

ydeve wrote:See, this is exactly what I meant by a joke forum. The threads Shtopit referenced clearly don't fit in a "general crawl discussion" thread. They aren't serious threads about crawl. They're jokes.

Those threads do fit in a "general crawl discussion" forum. They don't belong mixed in with advice or design discussion forums.

I might even go so far as to suggest we find quaint Crawl-themed names for all the forums (with the description saying what they're for), and I think the general discussion works well as Crazy Yiuf's Corner.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 10th October 2016, 20:46

If the limit is "you may only joke about Crawl rather than about anything", it's OK for me. It wasn't clear to me if you wanted to limit general discussion to only serious topics.

CIP could be called "The Fleshworks".
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2016, 16:54

CYC is like the only subforum here worth a damn

DCA: everybody asks for advice, nobody listens. Exists mostly so mods can smugly dump any complaints about game balance there, aka "git gud"
YAVP/YSD/CIP: wow, you won a game of Crawl! Good job! Want a cookie?
Dart Board: for people who are so bored of Crawl they have to make up some weird challenges to even touch it
Game Design Discussion: the only board where actual discussion of game design is forbidden and gets shafted either in CYC or DCA. Also known as "food proposals"
Other boards: nobody ever reads them

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, duvessa, VeryAngryFelid, ZipZipskins

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2016, 17:49

What would you suggest to fix that, Sar?

e: also, do you feel that making CYC into a "General Crawl Discussion" board would ruin it? Are you suggesting that, by changing it, we'll just be making the entire board useless instead of all but a corner of it?

Snake Sneak

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2016, 18:34

Sar wrote:YAVP/YSD/CIP: wow, you won a game of Crawl! Good job! Want a cookie?

CIP is also where you actually go to get Dungeon Crawling Advice.
remove Siegurt's signature

Sar

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2016, 18:54

Well, if my post was more than something that I thought would be funny before hitting "Submit", the message probably would be "don't mess with CYC too much", and making it strictly a forum about "Crawl jokes" would probably be a bit too much messing.

Edit:
Cimanyd wrote:CIP is also where you actually go to get Dungeon Crawling Advice.

so you can actually ignore it again

For this message the author Sar has received thanks: 3
archaeo, Arrhythmia, duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2016, 21:01

CIP overlaps with DCA, little doubt in that. One subforum could be exclusive of YASD/YAVP, DCA could absorb CIP. Actually, there could just be one section for CIP YASD YAVP and DCA ("Advice").

The Dart Board probably has no reason to exist, its content could go into CYC. The Courtyard also could be thrown into CYC, it's not like it's overtaken with activity and general discussion belongs to CYC anyway.

The Bulletin Board could be put higher in the page, so that new contents are easily visible to all.

Barkeep

Post Tuesday, 11th October 2016, 21:27

Ah, sorry Sar, thought you were being serious. For what it's worth, the only real change I see happening to CYC/GCD (or whatever we call it) in particular is a tighter focus on Crawl.

Shtopit, the plan as I understand it is to remove CIP/Alphabet Soup and merge it with DCA, yes. Otherwise, as you'll see if you look at the discussion from earlier this year on the first page, the Dart Board has many fans, so we'll keep it around. The Courtyard, on the other hand, has only had a handful of posts in the entire time I've been on the Tavern, and none of the moderators can even moderate the content, so it'll be cut entirely. These changes should make it so that none of the forum is "below the fold" on most desktop browsers, though that's not our goal.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks: 2
Sar, Shtopit
Previous

Return to Suggestions & Criticism