Involuntary meme creation and DCSS tavern

Here's where you can make suggestions for new forums & categories, voice your opinion about the forum, etc.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 27th February 2016, 07:19

Involuntary meme creation and DCSS tavern

After I make two posts about making tier lists, I find a bunch of nearly identical posts to mine.

Perhaps you think i am being paranoid? All the tier list fad posts have nothing to do with me? Ok. Then why does my other post have the same thing happening?

My OP: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19195

Here is a post attempting to mimic mine, same style as before: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19233

What am I to make of this? Why is there an insidious campaign to make posts resembling mine every time I make an OP?

Imitation is the highest form of flattery, but is this imitation, or biting satire?

Someone explain. And please don't mince words.

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 27th February 2016, 09:15

Re: Involuntary meme creation and DCSS tavern

lethediver wrote:Someone explain. And please don't mince words.

Nobody is purposefully trying to subject you to "biting satire." There is no "insidious campaign." It's just jokes, on a forum about a free video game.

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 27th February 2016, 09:31

It's true. You're just contributing real-time to the small community, affecting people and what they write. Maybe your style is susceptible to memetic assimilation, be proud. But seriously, if someone makes a "remove food" thread claiming that "food is irrelevant", someone else might make a "make food more relevant" thread instead of expanding the "remove food" thread, while the topic is hot.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 27th February 2016, 09:50

lethediver wrote:After I make two posts about making tier lists, I find a bunch of nearly identical posts to mine.
Perhaps you think i am being paranoid? All the tier list fad posts have nothing to do with me? Ok. Then why does my other post have the same thing happening?
Here is a post attempting to mimic mine, same style as before: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19233
What am I to make of this? Why is there an insidious campaign to make posts resembling mine every time I make an OP?
Imitation is the highest form of flattery, but is this imitation, or biting satire?
Wow, this wet fool rant felt stale memes.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 27th February 2016, 11:18

duvessa wrote:
lethediver wrote:After I make two posts about making tier lists, I find a bunch of nearly identical posts to mine.
Wow, this wet fool rant felt stale memes.

I feel your understanding of this topic is the highest in this thread. How do I immunize myself against the appropriation of my serious discussion posts into this prevailing, "funny", Internet meme culture? I do not want this to go on.

Barkeep

Post Saturday, 27th February 2016, 14:54

I mean, duvessa can feel free to provide their own perspective, but from where I'm sitting, no one has "appropriated" your discussions; indeed, people made new threads to joke around instead. I'd note that Tiktacy's joke in CYC didn't detract from your GDD thread, for example.

It's not clear what you mean when you ask to be "immunized" against "Internet meme culture." As far as I know, the only way to be exempted from Internet culture is to not participate. If you're asking for people to stop making jokes on Tavern, that's probably not going to happen.

For this message the author archaeo has received thanks:
Sar

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 28th February 2016, 00:20

people have been making tier lists of fucking everything on the tavern for years before you got here; chill out
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks:
scorpionwarrior

Return to Suggestions & Criticism