Stop making timestamps disappear on thanked posts

Here's where you can make suggestions for new forums & categories, voice your opinion about the forum, etc.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 2nd August 2015, 23:00

Stop making timestamps disappear on thanked posts

As far as I can tell, if a post is thanked, and that post is not the OP, then for some bizarre reason the timestamp on the post vanishes. This is kind of crazy behavior and it should be fixed.
take it easy

For this message the author Arrhythmia has received thanks: 4
rockygargoyle, Sandman25, Sprucery, wheals

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 2nd August 2015, 23:11

Re: Stop making timestamps disappear on thanked posts

Didn't we all agree on a solution?

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 3rd August 2015, 13:45

We also apparently agreed to remove thanks. As a group, we really lack follow through...

For this message the author dowan has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, wheals

Barkeep

Post Monday, 3rd August 2015, 13:50

The only person who can make thanks go away is napkin, and IIRC he said "I don't have much time but will try someday."

AFAIK none of the other mods have shell access to the system running tavern.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 2
Arrhythmia, wheals

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 3rd August 2015, 14:48

Ah, that makes sense. I'm practicing for a thankless system, so I didn't thank your post :P

For this message the author dowan has received thanks:
wheals

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 19th August 2015, 01:20

wheals wrote:Didn't we all agree on a solution?

No, not in the least.
Won all race/bg, unwon (online): Nem* Hep Uka
Favourites: 15-rune Trog, OgNe/OgIE/OgSu (usually Ash), Ds, Ru, SpEn, Ce of Chei, Qaz

For this message the author rchandra has received thanks: 2
rockygargoyle, wheals

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 19th August 2015, 15:28

While I agree there seems to be a consensus in that thread, I'd like to disagree; I use the thank system regularly to express appreciation and agreement, which would end up being a 5 word post without it. I don't like cluttering forums with 5-word posts, so sometimes I also wouldn't express agreement or appreciation, even though it's appropriate or deserved.

I think having an upvote/thank system tends to solve more problems than it creates. People are perfectly capable of groupthinking without a thank system.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 19th August 2015, 15:39

I like to see a five word post of appreciation. It clarifies whether you mean, "That was funny" or "That was well expressed" or "That is a better way of thinking of that" or "This is the right answer to this question that has been asked and answered a thousand times"

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 19th August 2015, 16:13

jejorda2 wrote:I like to see a five word post of appreciation. It clarifies whether you mean, "That was funny" or "That was well expressed" or "That is a better way of thinking of that" or "This is the right answer to this question that has been asked and answered a thousand times"

The reason "Thanks" exist though is so we don't need 10 posts that all say "I liked that"

Also, without Thanks, the first person to appreciate a post may feel like they can express that without detracting from the conversation, but the more people who've posted "lol" or "gratz" or "seconded/thirded/tenthed" or "agreed" the less meaningful content the forum has.

Addionally, the more posts instead of Thanks there are, the higher the barrier is for the next person who reads the post and wants to indicate how they feel about it, if you read a post you feel you would like to indicate your agreement with, but there are 10 posts all saying they agree, you are more likely to feel disinclined to post to that effect, partially because it is just that much more spam, but also because your post is that much more likely to be dismissed as part of a flock, indistinguishable from the rest and thereby unrecognized.

Honestly i think people who want Thanks to go away take them way to damn seriously
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
rockygargoyle

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 19th August 2015, 16:44

Siegurt wrote:Honestly i think people who want Thanks to go away take them way to damn seriously

Well said for a person who thanked 31 times and got thanked 1455 times :)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 19th August 2015, 18:17

I like being able to link to a post more than I like being able to see who has thanked it.

For this message the author jejorda2 has received thanks:
Arrhythmia

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 01:23

jejorda2 wrote:I like to see a five word post of appreciation. It clarifies whether you mean, "That was funny" or "That was well expressed" or "That is a better way of thinking of that" or "This is the right answer to this question that has been asked and answered a thousand times"

You missed some of the more common uses:
"Nice slam!"
"You showed that jerk"
"Your post was so stupid it amused me"
"Hey! I recognize that name!"
"I meant to press quote"

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 13:27

Ummm... I don't think any of those are reasons I use thank. I mean, possibly your post was so stupid it amused me, but I try to only use thanks for expressing amusement when the post is a joke... and yes, the stupider the better! ;)

Vestibule Violator

Post Thursday, 20th August 2015, 13:27

Siegurt wrote:

The reason "Thanks" exist though is so we don't need 10 posts that all say "I liked that"

Also, without Thanks, the first person to appreciate a post may feel like they can express that without detracting from the conversation, but the more people who've posted "lol" or "gratz" or "seconded/thirded/tenthed" or "agreed" the less meaningful content the forum has.

Addionally, the more posts instead of Thanks there are, the higher the barrier is for the next person who reads the post and wants to indicate how they feel about it, if you read a post you feel you would like to indicate your agreement with, but there are 10 posts all saying they agree, you are more likely to feel disinclined to post to that effect, partially because it is just that much more spam, but also because your post is that much more likely to be dismissed as part of a flock, indistinguishable from the rest and thereby unrecognized.

Honestly i think people who want Thanks to go away take them way to damn seriously

I entirely agree with you.

For this message the author byrel has received thanks: 3
rockygargoyle, Sandman25, Zooty

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 26th August 2015, 23:27

byrel wrote:
Siegurt wrote:

same

For this message the author wheals has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, byrel, rockygargoyle

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 30th December 2015, 01:16

byrel wrote:
Siegurt wrote:

wheals wrote:
byrel wrote:
Siegurt wrote:The reason "Thanks" exist though is so we don't need 10 posts that all say "I liked that"

same

I wish to express my appreciation of these posts for undisclosed reasons, I didn't mean to bump.

For this message the author HardboiledGargoyle has received thanks: 3
Arrhythmia, byrel, wheals

Return to Suggestions & Criticism