Search found 431 matches

Wednesday, 28th June 2017, 19:55

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Allies and accessibility in tiles

Replies: 11

Views: 1064

Re: Allies and accessibility in tiles

I changed it because, in a big mass of allies and enemies, it was very easy to lose track of the red hearts. The green circle is not perfect, obviously, because some monsters have big round tiles that obscure it, but I think it's easier to see the vast majority of the time. For instance: http://i.im...

Monday, 24th April 2017, 14:13

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Remove trunk

Replies: 40

Views: 3746

Re: Remove trunk

"Now this is absolutely positively the last straw!"

- someone about literally every change ever made to Crawl since day one

Thursday, 13th April 2017, 15:18

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Finding unique enemy more than once.

Replies: 8

Views: 824

Re: Finding unique enemy more than once.

Sprucery wrote:(I have no idea if the actual chance of coming back has changed)

I'm pretty sure it hasn't, but there are fewer eligible levels now, so effectively he shows up less often.

Thursday, 9th March 2017, 16:31

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Don't make ogre a fat human

Replies: 101

Views: 10071

Re: Don't make ogre a fat human

Yes, it certainly is easy to describe the version you like in glowing, positive terms and the version you don't like in negative ones, that is definitely true. Watch: "Ogres were cookie-cutter brutes who were crap at magic but vaguely claimed that they weren't (they still were). Now they're clo...

Thursday, 9th March 2017, 05:42

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Don't make ogre a fat human

Replies: 101

Views: 10071

Re: Don't make ogre a fat human

Here is the thing about arguments based on flavor: You can argue in favor of literally anything based on flavor, because flavor is entirely subjective . What the heck does "intuitive spellcasting" even mean, for instance? Last I checked Crawl didn't have an Intuition stat. You realize this...

Saturday, 4th March 2017, 18:57

Forum: YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too

Topic: Spell failure Rates - Worst luck ever?

Replies: 6

Views: 693

Re: Spell failure Rates - Worst luck ever?

In case you're wondering, hitting a 12% chance 8 times in a row is a 1 in 23 million chance. For comparison, the chance of being killed by shark attack is about 1 in 3 million.

I dunno if this means you should avoid beaches or not.

Wednesday, 22nd February 2017, 19:36

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Aut scoring

Replies: 55

Views: 4998

Re: Aut scoring

Speed, it's speed, score measures speed. To get a high score you go fast. That's it. Currently, however, you actually want to go as slowly as possible. If you could have an orc wizard follow you around the whole game and cast slow on you constantly you would. If anything, that's what doesn't make se...

Wednesday, 22nd February 2017, 11:08

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Aut scoring

Replies: 55

Views: 4998

Re: Aut scoring

What's "artificial" about Chei or Nagas, or Spriggans or VS for that matter? The current system has some flaws. A system without those flaws has been suggested -- that's the place we want to go, a place where breadswinging doesn't exist. The opposition to that new system is that it "...

Wednesday, 22nd February 2017, 10:45

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Aut scoring

Replies: 55

Views: 4998

Re: Aut scoring

Why is that a flaw? Your argument is literally "X are good for speedrunning, therefore X should continue to be good for speedrunning." When changes happen, the old best strategy is going to get replaced by something new. Why is it bad if that happens to be a melee spriggan of Makh, or some...

Wednesday, 22nd February 2017, 10:12

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Allow Monks to start with staves

Replies: 11

Views: 1129

Re: Allow Monks to start with staves

Well, they used to start with quarterstaves. Then, uh, they had a weaker "staff" item made specifically for them, since quarterstaves were too powerful. You're basically describing the past here. But then they got restricted to UC-only; the goal was probably to make monks slightly more dis...

Wednesday, 18th January 2017, 21:06

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: ITT we remove races

Replies: 26

Views: 2236

Re: ITT we remove races

i've never really been a fan of the 100 meter dash

Sunday, 15th January 2017, 09:24

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: The Runes on the Runes

Replies: 6

Views: 747

Re: The Runes on the Runes

You got most of them! The rune tiles were one of the first things I did for Crawl; they're all mine except the Snake rune, which already existed then, and yes, is just an S. The others are all Elder Futhark: Swamp: ᚲ Kaunan, which means "ulcer" or "disease." Shoals: ᛃ Jera, meani...

Friday, 2nd December 2016, 18:01

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Looking for recite text

Replies: 11

Views: 1001

Re: Looking for recite text

Also, intolerance is pretty much Zin's whole schtick.

Saturday, 26th November 2016, 19:57

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Accuracy with melee weapons?

Replies: 1

Views: 879

Re: Accuracy with melee weapons?

As far as I know it's the same it's been for years.

Tuesday, 22nd November 2016, 20:54

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Eublepharis macularius

Replies: 11

Views: 1607

Re: Eublepharis macularius

As a leopard gecko owner, can confirm they are deadly opponents capable of killing a trained gladiator in single combat. BONUS GECKO FACT: "Eublepharis" refers to the fact that, unlike other geckos, they have eyelids; most geckos have clear scales called "brille" over their eyes ...

Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 06:48

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: PSA: Some guy just spent 18 hours avoiding trap tiles

Replies: 66

Views: 4863

Re: PSA: Some guy just spent 18 hours avoiding trap tiles

This post made me think that probably we haven't explored traps as a way to fix luring/stairdancing. For example, every time you move upstairs with adjacent monsters, 1-2 traps are generated near those stairs (on both floors). Every time you retreat from a monster there is a chance to generate a tr...

Monday, 31st October 2016, 15:06

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: What happens to banished ghosts?

Replies: 1

Views: 382

Re: What happens to banished ghosts?

They go to the abyss and you can find them there (in the same game). Ghosts only persist between games if you personally die on the floor they're on. I guess you could banish the ghost, find it in the abyss, and then die there, though I'm not sure the abyss is eligible for ghost saving.

Friday, 28th October 2016, 20:19

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: 0.19 Tournament question...

Replies: 3

Views: 517

Re: 0.19 Tournament question...

Sadly the inventory grid doesn't exist on WebTiles. Learn to love the i key, I guess.

Monday, 24th October 2016, 22:31

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: don't taper XP cost of XL

Replies: 10

Views: 777

Re: don't taper XP cost of XL

536,870,912 EXP for level 27 -- approximately 507 times as much XP as it currently takes.

Tuesday, 4th October 2016, 19:35

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Make Yara's a Monster Spell; End Charms Reform

Replies: 88

Views: 6407

Re: Make Yara's a Monster Spell; End Charms Reform

Last year? Spells have worked that way since Linley Henzell. If you want the magic system redesigned from the ground up, by all means, be my guest. It doesn't work the way it does because of some draconian decree, it works that way because that's how Linley made it and nobody's changed it. The fact ...

Tuesday, 4th October 2016, 19:00

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Make Yara's a Monster Spell; End Charms Reform

Replies: 88

Views: 6407

Re: Make Yara's a Monster Spell; End Charms Reform

Well, I appreciate that you're having fun bashing on the devs and feeling good about yourself, but sadly you're misinterpreting what I meant; I didn't mean to imply that the state of affairs was intentionally designed to make buff spells bad. Nobody sat down and went "yessss, let's ruin goodcoo...

Monday, 3rd October 2016, 05:25

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Make Yara's a Monster Spell; End Charms Reform

Replies: 88

Views: 6407

Re: Make Yara's a Monster Spell; End Charms Reform

When an effect is a spell it inherently acquires a bunch of tacked-on attributes, most notably "you can, with some small amount of investment, use this whenever you want, as many times as you want" and "as long as you're not spamming it in combat, this has no meaningful cost whatsoeve...

Thursday, 29th September 2016, 19:04

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Diminishing returns/less stupidity on Corrosion

Replies: 12

Views: 960

Re: Diminishing returns/less stupidity on Corrosion

There are already diminishing returns on corrosion. The chance of corrosion sticking decreases based on how many stacks you already have (unless that's been changed recently).

Monday, 26th September 2016, 23:07

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Too Much XP in Crawl? (was: New hosted branch: haste reform)

Replies: 16

Views: 1374

Re: Too Much XP in Crawl? (was: New hosted branch: haste ref

I posted this in another thread, but I really do think that portals that operate like treasure troves would be a great way to optionally gate exp. Portals cost exp to enter, but have loot and enough monsters to get back the exp and potentially then some. So, you end up with an optional, but risky s...

Monday, 26th September 2016, 22:04

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Make all non-randart books pre-ided + apply fixed tiles

Replies: 5

Views: 506

Re: Make all non-randart books pre-ided + apply fixed tiles

The proposal I could take or leave, but tile appearance is never a reason to change gameplay. If there's some sort of dissonance (which I don't agree there is) then the tiles should change, not the other way around.

Monday, 26th September 2016, 21:58

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: New hosted branch: haste reform

Replies: 71

Views: 5361

Re: New hosted branch: haste reform

Personally I think /haste and Zhaste could just get dropped with no recourse. Haste is a luxury anyway.

Tuesday, 20th September 2016, 07:37

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: I hate shorter branches

Replies: 38

Views: 3040

Re: I hate shorter branches

I also have looked at the wiki, github repo and bug tracker and I have found no discussion about why levels are removed from branches all the time. The commits should have explanations, but I'll summarize: doing the same thing for 8 floors is really dull, and getting XP (and items and such) for doi...

Sunday, 18th September 2016, 05:14

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Prevent Zot Traps from Spawning on top of Pan Runes

Replies: 16

Views: 1562

Re: Prevent Zot Traps from Spawning on top of Pan Runes

VeryAngryFelid wrote:If it is the case, then probably it is better to change banishment to return player to rune floor when escaping Abyss. Some monsters on the rune floor can have distortion weapon.

Luckily this is already the case and has been for years.

Sunday, 18th September 2016, 05:08

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Faded altar improvements

Replies: 76

Views: 4953

Re: Faded altar improvements

Not every single feature in the game needs to be built around players trying for streaks. If your sole goal is to win the exact character you're playing right now, a faded altar is probably not a good gamble. But even if you do want to win, you might also want other things (e.g. to play an unusual c...

Sunday, 11th September 2016, 19:05

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: FR: Gozag statues LRD

Replies: 5

Views: 538

Re: FR: Gozag statues LRD

ololoev wrote:When blasted with LRD, Golden statues of Saint should burst into golden coins!

This is Gozag we're talking about, you really think she'd splurge on solid-gold statues? They're plywood with cheap fake-gold leaf.

Sunday, 11th September 2016, 18:37

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: implemented wont do

Replies: 27

Views: 2217

Vehumet reform

DracheReborn wrote:Fun fact: at least 1 item on the won't do list has actually been implemented (gyre and gimble), LOL.

Every time somebody says Gyre and Gimble count as dual-wielding I am going to delete 100 random lines of Crawl source code

Sunday, 11th September 2016, 18:32

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: God of Summoning Magic

Replies: 11

Views: 1201

Re: God of Summoning Magic

Gods dedicated to one specific playstyle are sort of dull, and have been on the out for... well, pretty much the entirety of DCSS's development. A few remain from the old days, but you'll notice that all the newer ones (and by "new" I'm talking like, since Beogh ) try to cater to many, if ...

Tuesday, 6th September 2016, 16:03

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: math q

Replies: 152

Views: 14270

Re: math q

I have to go teach calculus now but I read this thread and now I can't stop crying

Tuesday, 26th July 2016, 22:38

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Move either Borgnjor's or Door to Poison

Replies: 21

Views: 1753

Re: Move either Borgnjor's or Door to Poison

Well, poison arrow and poison cloud make the magic school "not a waste," but I agree it would be nice to have more cool poison spells. However, the tricky part is that the new spells have to stand on their own feet, rather than existing just to pad out poison magic. This is the key bit ri...

Tuesday, 26th July 2016, 01:51

Forum: YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too

Topic: Paralysis death, no player interaction

Replies: 8

Views: 477

Re: Paralysis death, no player interaction

The player interaction for paralysis comes before you get paralyzed.

Friday, 22nd July 2016, 22:54

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: replace health bar

Replies: 35

Views: 2499

Re: replace health bar

there are 5 states of woundedness but the "almost dead" sliver is noticeably smaller than 20% of a tile's width. Make the 5 health bars be 6, Actually, the red chunk is already 6 pixels long, but thanks for not checking. e: I would of course be willing to change the background, but PF's e...

Friday, 15th July 2016, 05:55

Forum: Technical Support

Topic: What's keeping you from compiling, DCSS?

Replies: 5

Views: 757

Re: What's keeping you from compiling, DCSS?

I dunno if this is correct, but I wouldn't be surprised if switching to Windows 10 messed up your PATH in some way. If so, reinstalling git-sdk would fix it (you can edit your PATH too but that's really painful).

Saturday, 2nd July 2016, 22:21

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Songs about DCSS characters

Replies: 19

Views: 1523

Re: Songs about DCSS characters

Welcome back to level 2.

Friday, 1st July 2016, 17:25

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Change Orc Sorcerer

Replies: 29

Views: 1857

Re: Change Orc Sorcerer

Absolutely.

e: I'm sure it's a coincidence that this thread was created just after you got killed by Orc Sorceror paralysis

Friday, 1st July 2016, 17:18

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Change Orc Sorcerer

Replies: 29

Views: 1857

Re: Change Orc Sorcerer

I mean that you're wrong about Orc Sorcerer being more dangerous than Ancient Liches (except by the Minmay Axiom that literally any monster occurring past mid-game is utterly meaningless because the player is invincible by then). Orc Magician: 5 HP, Paralysis, Throw Flame, Throw Frost, Summon Demon ...

Friday, 1st July 2016, 09:07

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Change Orc Sorcerer

Replies: 29

Views: 1857

Re: Change Orc Sorcerer

You can fight things without being resistant to all the damage types they use.

Tuesday, 28th June 2016, 07:08

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Tile size?

Replies: 8

Views: 482

Re: Tile size?

why not

Monday, 27th June 2016, 02:15

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Remove hangedman_screamer Vault

Replies: 33

Views: 2097

Re: Remove hangedman_screamer Vault

Laraso wrote:I didn't have teleport or blink available

Uh, I think this is your problem

Friday, 17th June 2016, 21:03

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: why are the online controls diffrent

Replies: 3

Views: 443

Re: why are the online controls diffrent

Because it would take a significant amount of effort to implement and nobody wants to do it.

Friday, 10th June 2016, 00:12

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Gender politics

Replies: 118

Views: 6444

Re: Gender politics

in webtiles all the characters use the male tile Not that it matters, but this isn't true. In WebTiles everyone uses the first doll tile on the list for their species, and those are intentionally ordered so that some "defaults" are male and some female. It'd be neat if we could pick a ran...

Thursday, 9th June 2016, 19:41

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Gender politics

Replies: 118

Views: 6444

Re: Gender politics

Somebody calculated the gender ratio and it was about 30% female before the commit and 44% female afterwards.

Wednesday, 8th June 2016, 20:09

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Suggestion: Reskin and Retheme Orbs of Fire

Replies: 22

Views: 1883

Re: Suggestion: Reskin and Retheme Orbs of Fire

They're already described as sparks of primordial fire, why do they need to be green for that to be the case? They're not radioactive, they're magic, and radiation isn't green to begin with. On the other hand, they definitely are super firey, and are the perfect color for that. If it's hard to tell ...

Monday, 6th June 2016, 22:59

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

Replies: 31

Views: 2650

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

the argument for including death lines is that it helps crawl's "flavour" or narrative. it is definitely possible to clutter that narrative with irrelevant, inconsistent, or unfitting details Absolutely! When including things for flavor reasons, it's very important that they be short, str...

Sunday, 5th June 2016, 18:14

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

Replies: 31

Views: 2650

Re: Give Hepliaklqana a comment when you die.

I agree that printing one brief flavour line after the game has already ended is unacceptable
Next

Return to advanced search

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.