Search found 5158 matches

Friday, 27th September 2013, 16:16

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Three cheers for tomahawks

Replies: 10

Views: 1145

Re: Three cheers for tomahawks

I really don't see the point of adding tomahawks. What's wrong with javelins? This is like keeping spiked flails and also adding spiked maces.

Friday, 27th September 2013, 16:11

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Penetrating Large Rocks

Replies: 64

Views: 3784

Re: Penetrating Large Rocks

galehar wrote:
ackack wrote:It illustrates that the chief effect of the change was something that wasn't intended --- a mostly insignificant monster buff combined with a noticeable player Tr/Og buff.

Alright, this is interesting. Anyone else feels like this penetrating large rock change is insignificant to monsters and noticealbe to player large races?
I think it's insignificant to both =P

Thursday, 26th September 2013, 21:41

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Penetrating Large Rocks

Replies: 64

Views: 3784

Re: Penetrating Large Rocks

I'm not convinced the change made them significantly stronger in the first place. I personally am not in the habit of having several dangerous monsters on the screen at once.

Thursday, 26th September 2013, 19:35

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Bullseye.

Replies: 14

Views: 1026

Re: Bullseye.

If you assume something in crawl has a point you're likely to be wrong a lot of the time

Thursday, 26th September 2013, 19:34

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Penetrating Large Rocks

Replies: 64

Views: 3784

Re: Penetrating Large Rocks

Once again, you forgot to think of any reason whatsoever to make this change. What are you even trying to accomplish?

Thursday, 26th September 2013, 00:56

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Proposal: Rework Item Destruction

Replies: 173

Views: 10215

Re: Proposal: Rework Item Destruction

I have played 2629 games online and have never, ever saved a scroll of acquirement, nor can I imagine any circumstances under which I would do so. I also fail to see any relevance this has to the topic whatsoever.

Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 02:42

Forum: YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too

Topic: YAVP: GrBe of Trog

Replies: 7

Views: 356

Re: YAVP: GrBe of Trog

I usually don't even bother with rMut against orbs of fire, especially on Zot:5, you're about to win anyway so the only mutations that could really be a problem are things like slow healing 3 (which you have advance warning of because of slow healing 1 and 2).

Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 01:20

Forum: YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too

Topic: MfIE of Ash. Game over

Replies: 34

Views: 1661

Re: CiP. MfIE of Ash. Getting Freezing Cloud castable

Chei does not prohibit or otherwise object to bat form, he just makes it useless. Much like he does for your character in general.

Wednesday, 25th September 2013, 01:19

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Why isn't MuFE recommended?

Replies: 28

Views: 1834

Re: Why isn't MuFE recommended?

If that's a concern then it would be pretty trivial to solve by only showing recommendations if you've selected a species. (Although I think the only person who chooses background first is MarvinPA anyway.)

Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 23:23

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Poison status/Cure Poison spell

Replies: 33

Views: 2473

Re: Poison status/Cure Poison spell

Then that's a reason to improve or remove cure poison, not a reason to make it even worse.

Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 23:22

Forum: YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too

Topic: YAVP - LOFi of Beogh to TSO, 15 runes (and GDD opinions)

Replies: 15

Views: 540

Re: YAVP - LOFi of Beogh to TSO, 15 runes (and GDD opinions)

Confidence Interval wrote:
minmay wrote:Statistics already does what you're trying to do

This is misleading. It is true that taking a greater number of attempts to achieve a desired outcome with a fixed chance of success increases the likelihood of success. There is not, however, an incremental increase in the likelihood of an outcome dependent on the number of previous attempts - to say so is to recall the Gambler's Fallacy - and that is what X2 proposed.
And it is exactly what I'm saying is a completely useless thing to add.

Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 22:27

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Poison status/Cure Poison spell

Replies: 33

Views: 2473

Re: Poison status/Cure Poison spell

Because casting spells to get nutrition or any other remotely strategic effect is awful and shouldn't be a thing

Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 22:25

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Why isn't MuFE recommended?

Replies: 28

Views: 1834

Re: Why isn't MuFE recommended?

well to be fair mummies can't cast stoneskin so there is sort of maybe kind of a reason for muee to not be recommended

Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 22:21

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Mummy Conjurer help

Replies: 8

Views: 904

Re: Mummy Conjurer help

First of all, mummy is the weakest species in the game by a ridiculously huge margin and you should be aware of this.

mentira wrote:the lowest spell fail rate I got is 94%.
Wearing body armour with an encumbrance rating, or wearing shields without enough skill increases spell failure rates. It sounds like you have been wearing items, but not looking at your character afterwards to see what effect they have. This is not a good habit to get into.

Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 05:35

Forum: YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too

Topic: YAVP - LOFi of Beogh to TSO, 15 runes (and GDD opinions)

Replies: 15

Views: 540

Re: YAVP - LOFi of Beogh to TSO, 15 runes (and GDD opinions)

Statistics already does what you're trying to do, and, I might add, it does a much better job than you.

Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 04:29

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Maths

Replies: 7

Views: 682

Re: Maths

makhleb also gives you healing for killing things that exist which is nice

Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 04:27

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Proposal: distinguish actions in message list

Replies: 13

Views: 940

Re: Proposal: distinguish actions in message list

galehar wrote:I agree with the OP. The underscore isn't very helpful when the message area is very busy. I'd like an option to have all messages older than last turn in dark grey.
What about just using menu_colours to change the colour of messages starting with _? I'd think with a unique colour it would be pretty hard to miss (but I never had a problem missing the underscore in the first place, so I guess I shouldn't try to guess what it's like for you.)

Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 04:23

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Interface proposal : life savers screen

Replies: 10

Views: 600

Re: Interface proposal : life savers screen

This capability already exists. From options_guide.txt:
  Code:
menu_colour ^= <match>:<colour>:<regex>, <colour>:<regex>, ...
        (Ordered list option)
        This prints a line (of the inventory, a menu, or the discoveries
        screen) containing regex in the stated colour. There can be
        several statements in a list, and also several menu_colour
        lines. When using several menu_colour lines, the colour of the
        _first_ matching regex is applied. For a list of colours, check
        the colour option in 5-a.

        The match specifies which listings are affected by the
        colouring. If you specify 'any', or completely skip the <match>:
        part, then all listings are used. Possible values for match are:
           ability       (the A screen)
           description   (the \ screen)
           equip         (the [, (, ), " screens)
           help          (the manual)
           inventory     (inventory and pickup menus)
           pickup        (specific to pickup menus)
           shop          (shop menus)
           notes         (the ?: screen)
           resists       (the % screen)
           spell         (the Z and I screens)
           stash         (the results from Ctrl-F)

        Crawl has a couple of prefixes defined to make inventory colouring
        easier. These are, in order of definition:
           identified      (The item is fully identified.)
           known           (You recognize the item's subtype.)
           unidentified    (You don't recognize the item's subtype.)

        Items are also prefixed with their base type (armour, weapon, wand,
        etc.)

        The following only apply to items whose subtype is known.
           forbidden       (Your god would hate it if you used this item.)

           emergency_item  (This item is invaluable in emergencies.)
           good_item       (This item is generally a good item.)
           dangerous_item  (Using this item can be dangerous.)
           bad_item        (This item is generally a bad item.)
           useless_item    (This item is of no use to you.)

           inedible        (You cannot eat this, or get no nutrition from it.)
           preferred       (The food type your character prefers, for example
                            for herbivores/carnivores.)
           poisonous       (Chunks/corpses that are poisonous)
           mutagenic       (Chunks/corpses that are mutagenic)
           contaminated    (Chunks/corpses that may cause sickness, but
                            ignored for Kobolds, Ogres, Trolls, and Ghouls.)
           rot-inducing    (Chunks/corpses that cause rotting.)

           equipped        (Equipped items.)
           artefact        (For artefacts, whether identified or not.)

        When looking for menu_colour matches, these prefixes are prepended to
        the actual item name, e.g. in the form of
           identified forbidden wand of draining (4)
           unidentified equipped artefact sparkling ring (left hand)

        The same prefixes can also be used for highlighting prompts pertaining
        to items matching the description, or to define autopickup_exceptions.

        If you want to colour all items that contain a certain prefix, use
          menu_colour ^= lightgreen:poisonous

        To colour worn stuff and highlight cursed items (except where other,
        presumably more important, message colours match), use
          menu_colour += inventory:lightred:equipped.* cursed
          menu_colour += inventory:green:equipped
          menu_colour += inventory:red: cursed

        To colour identified artefacts, try
          menu_colour ^= inventory:white:( [-+] the)
        or
          menu_colour ^= inventory:white:identified.*artefact

        If you frequently die because you forget to use emergency items,
        try
          menu_colour ^= inventory:cyan:emergency_item
          menu_colour ^= inventory:lightcyan:wand of (fire|cold|draining)

        If you'd like to see rotting chunks and corpses at a glance, use
          menu_colour ^= inventory:red: rotting

        menu_colour can also be applied to colour the in-game notes (to
        be read with '?:'). The following line will show level ups in
        white:
          menu_colour ^= notes:white:Reached XP level

Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 04:16

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Why isn't MuFE recommended?

Replies: 28

Views: 1834

Re: Why isn't MuFE recommended?

Also, dying to a throw flame miscast is kind of bad

Tuesday, 24th September 2013, 02:07

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Why isn't MuFE recommended?

Replies: 28

Views: 1834

Re: Why isn't MuFE recommended?

Playing FE does not increase the chance of finding a ring of fire in any way.

Monday, 23rd September 2013, 21:11

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Poison status/Cure Poison spell

Replies: 33

Views: 2473

Re: Poison status/Cure Poison spell

cure poison should be buffed to work on venom cocktail

Friday, 20th September 2013, 17:01

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Anagramming: When does Diety Abandonment Penance end?

Replies: 8

Views: 1053

Anagramming: When does Diety Abandonment Penance end?

LOGUNO VEHEMUT JIVYA EVILYVON

Friday, 20th September 2013, 16:54

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Trolls

Replies: 44

Views: 2534

Re: Buffing Trolls

Gunthar wrote:I'm wondering why trolls have even bad aptitudes in skills they should be good from their natural living styles.
I'm not sure what you think their "natural living styles" are, given that the game never acknowledges such a thing (and shouldn't); even if it did, "flavour" should be changed to accomodate good gameplay, not the other way around! Besides, trolls' unarmed combat aptitude is already above average.

Also how the hell are you having problems with hydras as a species that can throw large rocks wtf

Thursday, 19th September 2013, 21:56

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Trolls

Replies: 44

Views: 2534

Re: Buffing Trolls

dpeg wrote:I think it's a great feature that trolls have a simple early game and encounter a few problems later on.
That's just a ridiculous myth that the wiki latched onto. Trolls do not "encounter a few problems later on". They are one of the strongest species for the entire duration of the game.

Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 05:58

Forum: YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too

Topic: CiP: GrBe

Replies: 27

Views: 1187

Re: CiP: GrBe

Also, that "1 less evp" is a quadratic difference. It's a somewhat smaller deal than usual on this character because it can't cast spells, but you're still losing 2 or 3 EV.

Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 04:17

Forum: YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too

Topic: CiP: GrBe

Replies: 27

Views: 1187

Re: CiP: GrBe

If you happen to have both CPA and GDA, CPA is significantly better for most characters including this one. And you already have a +2 one. This shouldn't even be a question.

Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 01:49

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Condense Fruits

Replies: 17

Views: 1326

Re: Condense Fruits

I'd PREFER to make food WORK something like GOLD and RUNES do, where they DON'T take up SLOTS in your INVENTORY. But that's JUST my OPINION.

Wednesday, 18th September 2013, 01:47

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Useless unrand revamp: "Bullseye"

Replies: 35

Views: 1282

Re: Useless unrand revamp: "Bullseye"

dpeg wrote:Apart from joke items, we certainly want those items to have some target audience. However, it is alright if that audience is pretty small. In other words, they can fill weird niches, as long as such a niche exists (which didn't seem to be the case for the Knife).
well it isn't the case for bullseye either, is the thing

Tuesday, 17th September 2013, 16:08

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Useless unrand revamp: "Bullseye"

Replies: 35

Views: 1282

Re: Useless unrand revamp: "Bullseye"

I still support removing Bullseye but giving Gong EV-5 and increasing its enchantment to +27.

Tuesday, 17th September 2013, 02:21

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: I don't mean to be crude, but. . . .

Replies: 56

Views: 2643

Re: I don't mean to be crude, but. . . .

47008 | Elf:3 | Found Clitsucs' Distillery.

Tuesday, 17th September 2013, 02:20

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Using Conjure Ball Lightning

Replies: 24

Views: 2115

Re: Using Conjure Ball Lightning

i've only found one use for cbl: teleport traps

Tuesday, 17th September 2013, 02:13

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: The Lazy Person's Guide to a 15 Runer

Replies: 43

Views: 3635

Re: The Lazy Person's Guide to a 15 Runer

moop wrote:Not sure why some others are so put off that I tried to put advice in the... um... advice column.
If you post bad advice you probably shouldn't be offended when people point out that it's bad advice

Monday, 16th September 2013, 02:30

Forum: YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too

Topic: CiP: TeAE of Vehumet

Replies: 14

Views: 452

Re: CiP: TeAE of Vehumet

and into wrote:Hunger cost is seldom a problem, so long as it is not like ration-level, or *high*-honeycomb level
Players aren't allowed to see these anymore. Spell hunger is just expressed in hashes now. In general, if there are less than 8 hashes of hunger, you shouldn't worry about it.

Monday, 16th September 2013, 02:25

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: The Lazy Person's Guide to a 15 Runer

Replies: 43

Views: 3635

Re: The Lazy Person's Guide to a 15 Runer

I thought this was a joke until I read your second post.

Sunday, 15th September 2013, 18:48

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Quick blade of <your choice>

Replies: 13

Views: 998

Re: Quick blade of <your choice>

Amnesiac wrote:I like electrocution a lot, I use it on short blades until I get the same damage from a branded quickblade because of slaying bonuses and it's speed
For freezing to do more damage than electrocution on a short blade you need sexyelfdreams levels of slaying.

Sunday, 15th September 2013, 18:38

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Scroll of acquirement, thanks for the +1 cap..

Replies: 10

Views: 658

Re: Scroll of acquirement, thanks for the +1 cap..

Well, if you don't have a hat already, it is very likely to give you a negatively enchanted hat.

Sunday, 15th September 2013, 06:59

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: turning rods into snakes

Replies: 71

Views: 4004

Re: turning rods into snakes

s - a rod of destruction[fire] you create a lava snake!

Sunday, 15th September 2013, 06:58

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Quick blade of <your choice>

Replies: 13

Views: 998

Re: Quick blade of <your choice>

1. freezing adds 25% damage on average, not 50%
2. stabbing skill doesn't work that way
3. IT IS A STAB IT KILLS THE MONSTER NO MATTER WHAT THE BRAND IS YOUR DAMAGE ARGUMENT WOULD BE COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT EVEN IF IT HAD CORRECT PREMISES WHICH IT DOESN'T

I can only imagine one circumstance in which I would give the slightest consideration to using a quick blade of freezing over a quick blade of electrocution. It is if I am fighting a monster with rElec. This is enough of a corner case that I wouldn't even bother carrying around the freezing one if I had both.

Sunday, 15th September 2013, 02:29

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Blessed range weapon

Replies: 12

Views: 754

Re: Blessed range weapon

No, it's not nearly as bad as Chei, hence why I said "one of". Anyway, TSO gives you an accuracy boost, cleansing flame, and summons that you won't get until fairly late. And you're then prohibited from using stealth and a bunch of items. That's not very good compared to what almost any other god on that list does; the only ones that strike me as possibly being weaker are Beogh, Cheibriados, Xom, and Zin, and I'm very much unconvinced that Beogh and Zin are worse. I'd say it's reasonable to say "one of the weakest" when it's the 3rd weakest out of 18.

Sunday, 15th September 2013, 01:51

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Blessed range weapon

Replies: 12

Views: 754

Re: Blessed range weapon

TSO is currently pretty much one of the weakest gods in the game. TSO doesn't get used a lot because TSO is good, TSO gets used a lot because players are bad. Your argument from listgame statistics could be used equally well to argue that the worst god in the game is better than the best god in the game:
!lg * won s=god wrote:13824 games for * (won): 1864x Trog, 1755x Okawaru, 1583x Vehumet, 1274x The Shining One, 1203x Sif Muna, 1008x Makhleb, 731x Ashenzari, 710x Kikubaaqudgha, 565x Nemelex Xobeh, 452x, 444x Lugonu, 405x Jiyva, 329x Cheibriados, 313x Yredelemnul, 308x Zin, 296x Elyvilon, 246x Xom, 171x Beogh, 167x Fedhas

Sunday, 15th September 2013, 00:35

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Complete list of species/class abbreviations

Replies: 19

Views: 13061

Re: Complete list of species/class abbreviations

no it stands for elm

Saturday, 14th September 2013, 23:59

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Duplicate Unrands?

Replies: 7

Views: 575

Re: Duplicate Unrands?

mopl wrote:What do you call exceeding a level's item ??
If you end up with more than 2000 items on a level, 15% of them will be destroyed. The Orb of Zot, runes, and food (yes, really) are never destroyed this way, everything else can be. Unrandarts destroyed this way can generate again in Abyss.
mopl wrote:However what would be the point of reseting Wyrmbane's enchantment ?
Did I ever say there was one?

Saturday, 14th September 2013, 23:48

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Blessed range weapon

Replies: 12

Views: 754

Re: Blessed range weapon

Another option is to get rid of holy/distortion/pain blessing. Vehumet giving everyone access to poison arrow was considered unacceptable; Lugonu currently gives everyone access to distortion...

Saturday, 14th September 2013, 07:05

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Armor on Naga, Centaur.

Replies: 3

Views: 857

Re: Armor on Naga, Centaur.

armour skill actually does more for nagas and centaurs than it does for any other species in the game, because bardings have 4 base AC and boots have 1

Matanui3 wrote:Both have a low aptitude for it and get only half effect
this is a common and absolutely enormous misconception. the only penalty from "unusually shaped body" is that your AC is reduced by half the base AC of your body armour. it doesn't affect other armour, it doesn't affect AC from armour skill, it doesn't affect GDR, it doesn't affect anything else. just pretend you're a human, and treat all plate armour as having 5 less enchantment and all robes as having 1 less enchantment.

also remember that nagas and especially centaurs have kind of godawful dodging

Saturday, 14th September 2013, 06:56

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Make stashes useless

Replies: 46

Views: 2657

Re: Make stashes useless

Sandman25 wrote:I am not sure stairs are optimal for stashing unless my information is wrong and monsters are not generated near stairs mostly.
Monsters cannot pick up or destroy items that are not on the same level as you, and not many monsters can occupy the same tile as you, either. When you climb a staircase up, you generally end up on the same tile as a staircase down...do I really need to explain this?

edit: and since I'm sure you'll bring this up, yes, you can use teleport traps too
Next

Return to advanced search

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.