Search found 4408 matches

Sunday, 23rd August 2020, 20:12

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: The difficulty spike from exploring to getting runes

Replies: 57

Views: 6472

Re: The difficulty spike from exploring to getting runes

The problem there is that I think one needs to be at least a decently good player to answer that question correctly. For example, I don't know how to distinguish between inadequate offense and inadequate defense, besides by comparison with my prior games when I won; so a new-ish player won't have t...

Tuesday, 18th August 2020, 09:10

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: The difficulty spike from exploring to getting runes

Replies: 57

Views: 6472

Re: The difficulty spike from exploring to getting runes

If you want to become a good player, start to learn from your deaths. Every time you die you must ask yourself - "why did I die?" Typical answers are "I didn't have proper resistances", "my attack was too weak", "I wasted XP by training foo", "I should ha...

Wednesday, 22nd July 2020, 16:01

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: What Is the Best Roguelike?

Replies: 41

Views: 4613

Re: What Is the Best Roguelike?

I'm afraid your comment about "every game seems the same to me because I take the same cards" sounds so weird to me that I wonder if we're playing the same game. There are 75 cards in your pool and more than a 100 relics. I'm pretty sure I can win A0 Ironclad/Silent with whatever "bu...

Wednesday, 22nd July 2020, 09:43

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: What Is the Best Roguelike?

Replies: 41

Views: 4613

Re: What Is the Best Roguelike?

You can switch easily only if you have found Darkness in your game, so it's still up to chance. In StS you need double luck: to find specific cards/relics and to find them early. When I wanted Darkness spell in DCSS I played Ds :) And yes, I agree, it would be better for me personally if you could ...

Wednesday, 22nd July 2020, 09:31

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: What Is the Best Roguelike?

Replies: 41

Views: 4613

Re: What Is the Best Roguelike?

Since this is CYC, I don't mind being offtopic a little bit more. The problem is that you're using arguments inconsistently, so it's impossible to understand what your point is. For example, you say that you don't care about winrate, but then you try to compare StS and DCSS winstreaks. You say that...

Tuesday, 21st July 2020, 10:27

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: What Is the Best Roguelike?

Replies: 41

Views: 4613

Re: What Is the Best Roguelike?

Ok, enough offtopic. I find it interesting that you use the same phrase "you're missing my point" about two completely different people. Consider the possibility that the problem lies elsewhere: namely in how you think about certain things. Or maybe both of you are still missing my point....

Tuesday, 21st July 2020, 09:14

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: What Is the Best Roguelike?

Replies: 41

Views: 4613

Re: What Is the Best Roguelike?

I'm afraid you're taking too narrow a view of what decks do in StS. Your statement about birds is not correct. For instance, caltrops (or thorns potion, or bronze scales) can take care of birds very easily, even though it's not "AoE damage". From a defensive standpoint, self forming clay ...

Tuesday, 21st July 2020, 05:11

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: What Is the Best Roguelike?

Replies: 41

Views: 4613

Re: What Is the Best Roguelike?

VAF, your comments are confusing. When you say "3rd floor", do you mean Act 3? Because getting Dead Branch on Floor 3 is insanely good. Similarly, do you mean "Act 2" when you say "second floor"? Because taking Searing Blow on Floor 2 is competely fine. I'm afraid your...

Tuesday, 21st July 2020, 05:06

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: What Is the Best Roguelike?

Replies: 41

Views: 4613

Re: What Is the Best Roguelike?

I got your point, but I disagree about the degrees of freedom you claim DCSS provides. From your examples: picking Vehumet doesn't guarantee you Shatter, finding storm bow in elf is the same as finding tough bandage in act 2 in StS and you can still pivot your build around that. Changing your build...

Monday, 20th July 2020, 10:07

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Thank you!

Replies: 252

Views: 113189

Re: Thank you!

Thank you for the removal of hunger! Awesome change.

Monday, 20th July 2020, 10:06

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: What just happened to butchering?

Replies: 28

Views: 3677

Re: What just happened to butchering?

Shtopit wrote:Also, a secondary observation: I read a few posts in the past lamenting how mages had been nerfed and nerfed during the past versions, to the point that their weakness translated into tediousness. Would this change balance the game again?


Yes, mages are great again :)
Thanks, devs!

Monday, 20th July 2020, 10:05

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Some updated rc files?

Replies: 5

Views: 873

Re: Some updated rc files?

Well, I used to have a huge rc file but then I tried 0.25 with default rc file, it was quite playable. Probably you need to clarify what you are looking for. Force more for dangerous monsters coming into view?

Monday, 20th July 2020, 10:00

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Is there an AI that can win every-time?

Replies: 5

Views: 1019

Re: Is there an AI that can win every-time?

That is the weirdest claim I have ever read on this forum ever. You haven't read this topic then: https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=14997 I seem to be the only person who thanked that thread and I suspect you are missing the point so let me clarify. This game is very hard (es...

Monday, 20th July 2020, 09:54

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: What Is the Best Roguelike?

Replies: 41

Views: 4613

Re: What Is the Best Roguelike?

Anything can be a build if desired, saying that Fireball is a build in the same way Searing Blow or Corruption/Dead Branch is a build is quite a stretch. Healing and vulnerability is something Ironclad guaranteed to get from the get go, same as Fireball for FE. So it's a better comparison than Dead...

Saturday, 18th July 2020, 15:51

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: What Is the Best Roguelike?

Replies: 41

Views: 4613

Re: What Is the Best Roguelike?

Bit of a false equivalence, it's more if you want to apply vulnerability and heal after fights you pick Ironclad. Fireball is a starter kit, not really a build as such. Fireball can be a build if desired. I am not sure why you think Ironclad is about vulnerability and healing, it is possible to win...

Friday, 17th July 2020, 21:02

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: What Is the Best Roguelike?

Replies: 41

Views: 4613

Re: What Is the Best Roguelike?

I don't want to get into StS too much, but every roguelike is decided by RNG! If you mean that it can be hard to get 100% winrate in StS at high ascension level, that's true. But you can still play in a manner so as to increase your chances to win: a 50% winrate is quite different from a 10% winrat...

Thursday, 16th July 2020, 12:22

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: What Is the Best Roguelike?

Replies: 41

Views: 4613

Re: What Is the Best Roguelike?

It depends on what you are looking for. If you want to play in a specific way, StS is quite bad as your game is decided by RNG, you have about zero influence on your game after selecting character unless you are playing at really low difficulty level. I would say DCSS is clearly the best, especially...

Monday, 15th June 2020, 07:56

Forum: The Dart Board

Topic: Draft new tournament rules

Replies: 28

Views: 8529

Re: Draft new tournament rules

Sort order on https://crawl.develz.org/tournament/0.2 ... ranks.html is wrong, it uses "String" sort instead of "Integer". It results in order like 1, 10, 100, 101 etc. instead of 1,2,3.

Thursday, 11th June 2020, 06:50

Forum: YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too

Topic: YAVP: BaGl^Chei, 15 runes, seeded run

Replies: 3

Views: 677

Re: YAVP: BaGl^Chei, 15 runes, seeded run

I have impression that unlimited retries with seeded run makes it into a very different game where first you gather some information and then maximize your score by using it. Time-consuming and boring IMHO, but probably fun for some players. Reminds me movies like "Groundhog Day" :)

Tuesday, 26th May 2020, 11:32

Forum: Technical Support

Topic: RC options for stopping manual exploration

Replies: 5

Views: 1096

Re: RC options for stopping manual exploration

I believe it is not possible. I investigated it and had to create my own version of crawl to solve the "monster already seen" problem. It was several years ago, but most likely it is still current situation.

Friday, 17th April 2020, 13:01

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Change shopping list behavior toward duplicate items

Replies: 6

Views: 1219

Re: Change shopping list behavior toward duplicate items

Wands stack in the inventory, but it would be a little strange ( and a small buff) to be able to buy charges individually. Not that I would mind it. Not necessarily. There could be a discount for buying something in large quantities :) Also "20% discount if you buy the item without leaving the...

Wednesday, 8th April 2020, 06:23

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Miscast Simplification

Replies: 33

Views: 5101

Re: Miscast Simplification

What's wrong with that? Nerfing casters again while doing nothing to berserkers and alike? Is there a plan to add possibility to be banished when melee attack misses? I can remind you that there are many weapons which are optimal to use even when you are really far from min delay. Why is it optimal...

Monday, 6th April 2020, 08:40

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Miscast Simplification

Replies: 33

Views: 5101

Re: Miscast Simplification

I like nago's suggestion. It can result in interesting situations when impatient players lose access to some spell unless they severely overtrain corresponding magic schools and/or kill lots of monsters without using that spell.

Monday, 6th April 2020, 08:07

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Miscast Simplification

Replies: 33

Views: 5101

Re: Miscast Simplification

I agree with tealizard. If fail rate alone is not enough for some spells (ex. long-lasting buffs like Necromutation or Statue Form), those spells should be changed/removed, or at least some special mechanic (like miscasts) should not affect instant spells which are already severely punished by waste...

Thursday, 12th March 2020, 14:46

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Amnesia trap

Replies: 7

Views: 1609

Re: Amnesia trap

Hellmonk wrote:Amnesia trap that makes you forget random memorized spells and deletes them from your library.


If it is not a joke, then we need some traps which affect spell-less characters only for balance.

Monday, 9th March 2020, 15:23

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: rename slime pits

Replies: 4

Views: 1475

Re: rename slime pits

Slime Mud

Friday, 6th March 2020, 10:02

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: New Leech

Replies: 17

Views: 3381

Re: New Leech

I agree with *rage being a very bad design - I've sum that with just "annoying". I don't understand why are are you comparing Chei with *slow, they works very differently. Are you suggesting to swap *rage with *slow? I don't see how would that change the "lure anything to safe area&q...

Friday, 6th March 2020, 09:06

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: New Leech

Replies: 17

Views: 3381

Re: New Leech

*Rage is bad design as long as paralysis chance and luring exist. Even without the luring having a very small chance to die is bad design. Consider this: would you accept idea of a new great weapon which makes you almost invincible except it can unavoidably kill you unless you spend much time making...

Monday, 24th February 2020, 15:26

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Remove the id game (new reason)

Replies: 58

Views: 9847

Re: Remove the id game (new reason)

tealizard wrote:Unenchanted daggers are good/interesting. Okay.


I wrote "untrained", not unenchanted. You know, that +2 dagger of venome which your DEWz finds on D:1 and uses despite having 0 skill points in short blades.

Monday, 24th February 2020, 15:11

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Remove the id game (new reason)

Replies: 58

Views: 9847

Re: Remove the id game (new reason)

No, I am pointing out that some things are good/interesting early game, even if they are bad/boring late game.

Monday, 24th February 2020, 14:49

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Remove the id game (new reason)

Replies: 58

Views: 9847

Re: Remove the id game (new reason)

Relatedly, hellcrawl has no identification at all. All items are always identified. I rather like it because if a mechanic is not good enough to last a whole game, it shouldn't be in the game at all. I like lack of identification in hellcrawl but your premise is wrong IMHO. If you cannot kill enemi...

Thursday, 20th February 2020, 12:07

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

Replies: 112

Views: 30860

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

Shtopit wrote:Maybe he referred to throwing the keyboard away in frustration?


Maybe, but then there are roguelikes like Slay the Spire which don't make you want to throw the keyboard away.
Dying should be fun, that means no paralysis, mummy confusion etc.

Thursday, 20th February 2020, 07:24

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

Replies: 112

Views: 30860

Re: feels like alot of indie games are now called roguelikes

Item destruction as a sign of roguelike was probably a joke.

Thursday, 20th February 2020, 07:19

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: How can we simplify the summoning school?

Replies: 11

Views: 1690

Re: How can we simplify the summoning school?

Make summoning spells exclusive i.e. if you cast one summoning spell, all summons from different spells instantly expire so you choose which summon type to use in specific battle. Current limit of "you can have at most N summons of type X" does not work because you just have N summons of t...

Friday, 7th February 2020, 10:06

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Eye od Draining should put a status similar to Flayed Ghost

Replies: 3

Views: 1003

Re: Eye od Draining should put a status similar to Flayed Gh

nago wrote:Why?


For the same reason why Flayed Ghost is good. It is good decision-making for dangerous situations when you choose between retreating and killing Flayed Ghost. With Eye of Draining you just always retreat.

Thursday, 6th February 2020, 14:57

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Opaque skill system is severely wounded

Replies: 46

Views: 6268

Re: Opaque skill system is severely wounded

I think it's a bit more complicated than that. Automatic skill training is worse than manual training done right... but it won't screw up as badly as manual training done wrong. Hence I think automatic skill training can be helpful to novice players, and arguably that is why it should remain the de...

Thursday, 6th February 2020, 09:35

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: So happy to see exclamation marks in my spell damage finally

Replies: 28

Views: 4170

Re: So happy to see exclamation marks in my spell damage fin

By the way you have a good point about why weapon accuracy should be displayed. Players have no idea how accurate their weapon is and how much damage spells do. It would be great to be able to use spells to guarantee kills, but currently it is kind of gambling which is bad IMHO. PS. Maybe it could b...

Thursday, 6th February 2020, 09:32

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: So happy to see exclamation marks in my spell damage finally

Replies: 28

Views: 4170

Re: So happy to see exclamation marks in my spell damage fin

Showing a monster's exact HP would definitely make DCSS worse, because you'd get advantages from constantly monitoring it. For example, if you know a monster has 1 HP left, you know it's better to cast Freeze than to attack it with a weapon (or cast almost anything else). If you just know that the ...

Thursday, 6th February 2020, 08:00

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: So happy to see exclamation marks in my spell damage finally

Replies: 28

Views: 4170

Re: So happy to see exclamation marks in my spell damage fin

I still don't see how exclamation marks are better than numbers for percentages. How exactly is it supposed to work? One exclamation mark is 20% of monster HP or what? My branch was displaying it in the following form as far as I remember: You hit ogre for 47 damage. Ogre has 13 HP remaining. What w...

Wednesday, 5th February 2020, 12:35

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: So happy to see exclamation marks in my spell damage finally

Replies: 28

Views: 4170

Re: So happy to see exclamation marks in my spell damage fin

You're not wrong but the decision to NOT show explicit numbers most of the time was and is a base design consideration for DCSS from the beginning. Just as I'm against over-meddling with stair mechanics, I feel changing this would be a strong alteration of the basic "flavor" of the game, ...

Tuesday, 21st January 2020, 11:27

Forum: YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too

Topic: Now YASD: HoBE: Advice for extended please

Replies: 5

Views: 961

Re: CIP: HOBe: Advice for extended please

It is up to you. If you want to stay with Trog, you should train some ranged weapon (bows, crossbows, maybe throwing), but I've heard that Trog no longer gives ammo (and probably ranged weapons too?) so you should study which weapons are available. If you want to switch to TSO, usually people do so ...

Thursday, 16th January 2020, 14:41

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: DCSS is unrealistic

Replies: 24

Views: 5497

Re: DCSS is unrealistic

It's a bit funny, but what is it supposed to mean? Pitchforks were commonly used in peasant uprisings, and you can absolutely kill someone with a pitchfork. But it would be even easier if it had a single, lighter blade. Fork/trident creates several (4 and 3 correspondingly) small wounds, knife/spea...

Thursday, 16th January 2020, 14:34

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Update stair logic (nerf stair dancing)

Replies: 86

Views: 10539

Re: Update stair logic (nerf stair dancing)

lol i just said why it's bad Yes, very detailed explanation. "If we change something by clicking a button in the game, it is ok. If we do it in some other program which immediately starts the game afterwards, it is really bad."? Do you know what mod is? They are available for many games o...

Thursday, 16th January 2020, 13:36

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Update stair logic (nerf stair dancing)

Replies: 86

Views: 10539

Re: Update stair logic (nerf stair dancing)

Why is it bad? It is SP game, not a cybersport championship.

"Everyone should play same game. There should be no question about which species you chose, which background, which god you joined, which spells you cast, which weapon you melee with, which Lair branches you got etc."

Thursday, 16th January 2020, 11:17

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: DCSS is unrealistic

Replies: 24

Views: 5497

Re: DCSS is unrealistic

26. Tridents deal more damage than spears. This makes no sense, because with a trident you have almost the same weight. So when you hit someone with a trident, almost the same momentum is distributed across 3x as big an area. A trident would also be 3x less likely to penetrate armor. We have a funn...

Thursday, 16th January 2020, 07:37

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Update stair logic (nerf stair dancing)

Replies: 86

Views: 10539

Re: Update stair logic (nerf stair dancing)

"It does nothing" is an extremely optimistic assessment that has not held up to scrutiny in other games. I see no reason crawl would be an exception as there are lots of interactions in crawl where XP can disproportionately effect one thing compared to others. "It does nothing" ...

Tuesday, 14th January 2020, 07:38

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Update stair logic (nerf stair dancing)

Replies: 86

Views: 10539

Re: Update stair logic (nerf stair dancing)

Yes, and "the war" will never end unless devs change their mind and add explicit difficulty levels. Some players want the game become harder, others want it easier, third want it stay unchanged. Nobody is happy There are quite a few problems with multiple difficulty levels that fall outsi...

Monday, 13th January 2020, 13:39

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Version Questions

Replies: 7

Views: 1644

Re: Version Questions

Released version is almost never updated.

Monday, 13th January 2020, 13:12

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Version Questions

Replies: 7

Views: 1644

Re: Version Questions

Trunk/dev is the latest version of the game, usually it is stable enough. You will continue the game in your version, but when you save and load it, you will get a prompt to upgrade to the latest version. Sometimes (or is it on some servers) your game is stopped automatically and when you load it, i...

Friday, 10th January 2020, 14:48

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: anti-luring feature: statues

Replies: 17

Views: 2492

Re: anti-luring feature: statues

I agree space and terrain are better than time and clock as I hate time/clock in turn-based games. Another possibility (probably unexplored) is to make time freeze when player does not regenerate HP after being hit by non-summoned monsters. If monsters don't move when player is at full HP, it will s...
Next

Return to advanced search

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.