Search found 613 matches

Wednesday, 6th February 2019, 10:59

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Why is there two keys for entering stairs?

Replies: 4

Views: 263

Re: Why is there two keys for entering stairs?

1 - Why do I have to press > to go down and < to go up? As far as I know there are no bi-directional stair options. And why don't we use a key that makes a bit more sense for such a common key? I have to hold down shift as well, which is annoying. I mean if you drop the separate up/down key require...

Friday, 18th January 2019, 08:23

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Make trog and oka stop showering you with needles

Replies: 63

Views: 1889

Re: Make trog and oka stop showering you with needles

I think I gave good reasons to prefer melee-style targeting to arbitrary ranged targeting in my opening comments on the thread. yes, your argument is that ranged UI is bad. your proposed solution is "ranged targeting should be automated so it can be done in a single keypress", which is un...

Friday, 18th January 2019, 06:58

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Make trog and oka stop showering you with needles

Replies: 63

Views: 1889

Re: Make trog and oka stop showering you with needles

this argument is significantly different from saying "remove targeters" though. your original proposal sounds closer to something like "remove manual melee attacking and make tab the only method of melee combat", while this: For my argument, the key difference between the games I...

Friday, 18th January 2019, 05:32

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Make trog and oka stop showering you with needles

Replies: 63

Views: 1889

Re: Make trog and oka stop showering you with needles

It's kind of frustrating having an argument where the opposition turns on puns and misreadings. Obviously in what I have posted position is used in the broad sense encompassing all aspects of the player state with respect to the environment and monsters, as opposed to other aspects like player stat...

Monday, 14th January 2019, 20:27

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Make trog and oka stop showering you with needles

Replies: 63

Views: 1889

Re: Make trog and oka stop showering you with needles

Does this only apply to god gifts, or should the same logic be applied to scroll acquirement (which I understand is similar to the god gifting algorithm)? Armour acquisition when you only have a 1H melee weapon equipped tends to gift a shield, even if you have zero skill, unless you also equip a sh...

Wednesday, 9th January 2019, 20:13

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Remove Passwall from Book of Geomancy

Replies: 22

Views: 1279

Re: Remove Passwall from Book of Geomancy

no time passes after you passwall so it's impossible for a monster to make a stealth check. if your passwall destination contains a monster, you will forcibly move it and wake it up

Monday, 7th January 2019, 20:49

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Using Wands...

Replies: 17

Views: 1033

Re: Using Wands...

enslavement is basically a wand that kills a low MR monster and gives you a ally. for example try enslaving a hasted and mighted deep troll

Wednesday, 2nd January 2019, 05:15

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Generate killer bees later

Replies: 49

Views: 1718

Re: Generate killer bees later

VeryAngryFelid wrote:We don't put packs of orbs of fire on Depths:1, do we?

no, we put packs of caustic shrikes (which were explicitly designed as "killer bees of depths")

Sunday, 30th December 2018, 01:02

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Remove Passwall from Book of Geomancy

Replies: 22

Views: 1279

Re: Remove Passwall from Book of Geomancy

if you see a monster and it didn't wake up, you can just reposition yourself to stab it. if you're a formicid, you can detect them. in any case I memorize passwall immediately because it's effectively a safe teleport if you're using it correctly to get stone arrow the moment it's available just requ...

Monday, 24th December 2018, 04:34

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Remove Passwall from Book of Geomancy

Replies: 22

Views: 1279

Re: Remove Passwall from Book of Geomancy

why is memorizing an escape spell a newbie trap

Wednesday, 12th December 2018, 22:19

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Experimental branch: Known Traps

Replies: 78

Views: 4469

Re: Experimental branch: Known Traps

that sounds terrible for backtracking

Wednesday, 12th December 2018, 21:59

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: dumb cards idea #500

Replies: 8

Views: 796

Re: dumb cards idea #500

ok, to improve triple draw we will make it draw five cards instead of three, which should increase the chance of not getting useless cards. then as an additional buff we will also let you use all five drawn cards, so the player doesn't feel bad when they draw five amazing cards. since a player is un...

Tuesday, 11th December 2018, 22:11

Forum: YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too

Topic: YASD: DEFE: I will win this time!

Replies: 88

Views: 2893

Re: YASD: DEFE: I will win this time!

you were at full health and about 60%-70% MP. to watch, go to ##crawl (or message sequell), type !lg delarado xl>20 -tv and click the link to shalott it gives

Tuesday, 11th December 2018, 20:09

Forum: YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too

Topic: YASD: DEFE: I will win this time!

Replies: 88

Views: 2893

Re: YASD: DEFE: I will win this time!

I think Tzitzimils are just a bugger all around. I'm not sure whats more of a threat - dispel undead or torment (And they have both) i'll give you a hint: only one of these two effects can actually kill the player (assuming they're not wearing harm) anyway here's the breakdown on how you died: you ...

Monday, 3rd December 2018, 00:32

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Unarmed in treeform

Replies: 8

Views: 619

Re: Unarmed in treeform

Treeform UC is 12 base damage at 1.0 base delay with a +10 STR bonus. A quarterstaff is 10 base damage and 1.3 base delay, so you need to reduce it to 0.8 delay just for the base damage per aut to be at least as good as treeform UC assuming no enchantment, which is 10 skill. Weapon skill does provid...

Friday, 23rd November 2018, 20:37

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: How to Play SpEE

Replies: 17

Views: 1071

Re: How to Play SpEE

Thanks, that's quite interesting. I see a decent amount of melee, with a dagger, even. I suppose that's confuse stabs? I do love confuse even with melee chars, in addition to being a great disabler, it can split groups, hinder their movement and completely changes the tactical picture. Come to thin...

Friday, 23rd November 2018, 04:38

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: How to Play SpEE

Replies: 17

Views: 1071

Re: How to Play SpEE

instead of saying "I'm not going to use LRD in open terrain because it seems like a bad idea" you should actually use it in open terrain to see if it's a bad idea. the bad thing about noise is that it alerts nearby monsters but if you're fighting in an area you've already explored that's f...

Sunday, 28th October 2018, 22:22

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Is this randart great sword worth switching for?

Replies: 29

Views: 1491

Re: Is this randart great sword worth switching for?

Here is an explicit comparison for why you shouldn't train Shields to improve spellcasting. A buckler/shield/large shield imposes a penalty of 1.5/5/8.5 skill to your spell schools (i.e. your fail rates are calculated as if your spell school skills were reduced by that number), so every skill of shi...

Thursday, 25th October 2018, 19:39

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Dissolution

Replies: 10

Views: 641

Re: Dissolution

Edit: nevermind

Thursday, 18th October 2018, 23:46

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Give backrounds consumables on start

Replies: 39

Views: 2077

Re: Give backrounds consumables on start

monsters do not spawn after initial generation anymore

Thursday, 18th October 2018, 21:16

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Give backrounds consumables on start

Replies: 39

Views: 2077

Re: Give backrounds consumables on start

bel wrote:And can adders generate on D:1?

they can't (except for decorative purposes in entry vaults)

Monday, 15th October 2018, 02:25

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Best/Worst Artifacts

Replies: 2754

Views: 314332

Re: Best/Worst Artifacts

CanOfWorms wrote:
  Code:
Y - the ring of the Duke (right hand) {Wiz rN+ Int+3}
You found it on level 10 of the Dungeon.

dukes are basically mages right

in a different game:
  Code:
the ring "Leropre" {Wiz rN+ Int+3} (4750 gold)

Friday, 12th October 2018, 03:18

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: The Deflect Missiles experience

Replies: 16

Views: 1081

Re: The Deflect Missiles experience

Having to cast buffs after you cast transmutations is "brutal"? I mean It's a nerf, but I wouldn't categorize it as 'brutal' I mean you have 2 forms that explicitly give a wizardry penalty The joke is that transmutations are status-giving self-targeting spells, so if read literally, your ...

Thursday, 11th October 2018, 23:08

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: The Deflect Missiles experience

Replies: 16

Views: 1081

Re: The Deflect Missiles experience

Siegurt wrote:Expire all status-giving self-targeting spells (but not consumables or hostile enchantments) when you remove, wear or meld any equipment (jewelry and weapons included)

brutal transmuter nerfs

Sunday, 7th October 2018, 05:37

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Best/Worst Artifacts

Replies: 2754

Views: 314332

Re: Best/Worst Artifacts

  Code:
Y - the ring of the Duke (right hand) {Wiz rN+ Int+3}
You found it on level 10 of the Dungeon.

dukes are basically mages right

Thursday, 20th September 2018, 04:28

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Zin and Mutations

Replies: 2

Views: 325

Re: Zin and Mutations

You can't get any mutations from mutations potions under zin, so they behave just like cure mutation potions.

Thursday, 20th September 2018, 04:26

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Kobolds are just worse deep elves

Replies: 47

Views: 4384

Re: Kobolds are just worse deep elves

Kobolts can use crossbows to stab critters relatively effectively, right? I mean, with high stealth & crossbow skill, the 1st shot should deal double damage, which is more important for crossbows than for longbows because crossbows have a higher base damage. I say 'should' because I haven't pla...

Monday, 17th September 2018, 06:31

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Bug in Labyrinth? a stash with translucent stone walls

Replies: 20

Views: 1946

Re: Bug in Labyrinth? a stash with translucent stone walls

The bailey vault axe is actually encased in unbreakable stone if I'm remembering what you're talking about. You can't ever get it, even with Shatter.

Monday, 27th August 2018, 22:58

Forum: YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too

Topic: YAVP - VpEn^Kiku 15 Runes

Replies: 2

Views: 319

Re: YAVP - VpEn^Kiku 15 Runes

orbs of fire are not particularly good at killing malign gateways to begin with given that eldritch tentacles have fire immunity (amongst other immunities.)

Saturday, 25th August 2018, 03:15

Forum: YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too

Topic: CIP: the problem with necromancy

Replies: 19

Views: 1157

Re: CIP: the problem with necromancy

it's a shame necromancers don't get a spell in the starting book that let them heal while damaging monsters, that could really help with their survivability. in your situation it wouldn't even matter if it only worked in melee, since naga sharpshooters don't have a higher damage output in melee comp...

Thursday, 9th August 2018, 07:57

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Remove MP costs from god abilities

Replies: 45

Views: 1946

Re: Remove MP costs from god abilities

every mage start other than summoner has a spell that ignores EV, so they don't actually need sunlight

Wednesday, 8th August 2018, 05:24

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Remove MP costs from god abilities

Replies: 45

Views: 1946

Re: Remove MP costs from god abilities

you're still not answering the main issue, which is "does having controlled blink memorized and castable somehow reduce the power level of a mage character?" should players avoid learning utility spells because it "reduces their power level"?

Wednesday, 8th August 2018, 04:46

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Remove MP costs from god abilities

Replies: 45

Views: 1946

Re: Remove MP costs from god abilities

Even if the mage can manage the MP cost by saving enough MP to use the god abilities as well as his spells, it's making him weaker by forcing him to cast fewer spells. Therefore it makes the god weaker and less attractive for the mage, while the MP cost is mostly irrelevant to the brute. god powers...

Wednesday, 8th August 2018, 03:53

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Vehumet needs something

Replies: 40

Views: 1843

Re: Vehumet needs something

draw out power's draining cost is negligeable and refunds itself very quickly.

Wednesday, 8th August 2018, 03:47

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Remove MP costs from god abilities

Replies: 45

Views: 1946

Re: Remove MP costs from god abilities

hmm, controlled blink costs mp but for some mysterious reason, it's still learned by mage characters for extended. perhaps players playing mage characters... can manage mp?

see also: blink, sticks to snakes, passage of golubria for non-extended examples

Saturday, 4th August 2018, 07:41

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Is tomb too difficult?

Replies: 27

Views: 2243

Re: Is tomb too difficult?

my favorite way of doing tomb safely is to not enter it

Friday, 3rd August 2018, 21:00

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Can we tone down the number of two-headed ogres

Replies: 90

Views: 3879

Re: Can we tone down the number of two-headed ogres

rigrig wrote:
Siegurt wrote:Two-headed ogrecrawl, all two headed ogres all the time!

Even better: N-headed ogrecrawl, where N is the depth. (Except maybe Lair+branches, which have N-headed hydras)

sounds like it's time to bring the hydrataur out of retirement

Thursday, 26th July 2018, 20:51

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Extended Gods besides Mak/TSO/Veh?

Replies: 12

Views: 1190

Re: Extended Gods besides Mak/TSO/Veh?

dithmenos also gives shadow form, which notably has torment immunity and makes it convenient to steal runes from specific areas

Thursday, 26th July 2018, 06:14

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: How to win Deep Elves?

Replies: 129

Views: 6043

Re: How to win Deep Elves?

bel wrote:Surely this is a bug? It can't be intentional to provide such a big wiz boost (from 60% failure to 7% failure).

oh you're right, I was testing it on a character wearing plate armor, the failure rate would actually be ~25% with a large shield (7% with regular shield.)

Wednesday, 25th July 2018, 09:30

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: How to win Deep Elves?

Replies: 129

Views: 6043

Re: How to win Deep Elves?

with no sources of wizardry, that deep elf would have a ~60% failure rate for fireball (regular shield raises it to ~20%), that's how strong vehumet's wizardry is. the spell rate change was also added after 0.21 so it has no impact here

Wednesday, 25th July 2018, 08:43

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: How to win Deep Elves?

Replies: 129

Views: 6043

Re: How to win Deep Elves?

no comments on whether or not it's a good idea, but a defe of vehumet can wear a large shield in lair with minimal problem: Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.21.0 (tiles) character file. defe the Arsonist (Deep Elf Fire Elementalist) Turns: 19487, Time: 00:44:33 Health: 78/78 AC: 13 Str: 5 XL: 13 N...

Tuesday, 24th July 2018, 02:19

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Stack Five alternative

Replies: 35

Views: 1578

Re: Stack Five alternative

right, but there's an implied "because I find it useful". don't be deliberately obtuse

Monday, 16th July 2018, 22:12

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Arcane Marksman

Replies: 25

Views: 1449

Re: Arcane Marksman

wielding a random weapon in the hopes that it won't be a cursed -3 death sentence, or just hoping that the RNG will provide enough ammo scattered about that they won't run out and be unable to defend themselves. the starting ammo given to an arcane marksman is generally enough to last at least 4 fl...

Thursday, 21st June 2018, 00:18

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Mage Book

Replies: 16

Views: 1655

Re: Dungeon Crawl: Mage Book

you're describing a proposal where shields become a form of jewellery with varying bonuses, players are going to carry as many useful ones as they can and swap them frequently. the only reason players don't currently do that with shields is because shield egos are weak enough that the deciding facto...

Wednesday, 20th June 2018, 23:37

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Dungeon Crawl: Mage Book

Replies: 16

Views: 1655

Re: Dungeon Crawl: Mage Book

so your solution is to bring back the inventory issues books created, you say

Thursday, 31st May 2018, 21:37

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Vehumet's early gifts are really weak

Replies: 22

Views: 1495

Re: Vehumet's early gifts are really weak

kiku's first book is very strong when you consider you also get corpse delivery

Friday, 4th May 2018, 20:29

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Remove spell hunger

Replies: 30

Views: 2470

Re: Remove spell hunger

To celebrate no spell hunger: take a low/mid level, non-undead character, try to find summon dragons spell, get it to 9x% chance to cast, sit on the stairs and repeat casting it until it finally works. Go down stairs, kill stuff. Rinse, repeat. Contamination.. oh noes, lots of bad mutations swappin...

Tuesday, 1st May 2018, 02:06

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Merchant, a Gozag zealot background

Replies: 9

Views: 1634

Re: Merchant, a Gozag zealot background

let's skip the step where the player starts in a bazaar and instead randomly buy items for them, then we can call this background "Wanderer"

Tuesday, 1st May 2018, 01:32

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Background Equipment

Replies: 2

Views: 506

Re: Background Equipment

we don't compensate spellcasting background combinations (e.g. FoWr can't use Blink and scrolls of blinking, MuNe can't use regeneration), so it doesn't make sense to compensate non-spellcasting backgrounds. all this does is create a lot of bookkeeping; the current assignment is a straightforward re...
Next

Return to advanced search

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.