Search found 537 matches

Tuesday, 5th January 2016, 08:06

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: PSA: Amulet of Clarity => Amulet of Harm

Replies: 84

Views: 15033

Re: PSA: Amulet of Clarity => Amulet of Harm

Lasty wrote:For those who feel the amulet is too weak, how would it have to be changed before you would consider wearing it on at least 1/4th of your characters?

For me, it would have to be swappable with no detriment.

Tuesday, 29th December 2015, 15:14

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Gozag Depth

Replies: 28

Views: 5655

Re: Gozag Depth

I love such incentives. I like to dive, and I think the modest bonus provided by the gold god creates excellent challenges and strategy. There is an incentive as a gozag worshiper to kill the guards at D15 as soon as it is feasible. And then hope this isn't U1: Wow nothing standing right next to yo...

Monday, 21st December 2015, 07:24

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Beogh's Inappropriate Wrath in v.17

Replies: 15

Views: 2933

Re: Beogh's Inappropriate Wrath in v.17

I don't think it is a bug (how often do we find bugs once a version is stable? Pretty often, actually. Certainly more often than we discover that "put the player under penance for no reason" was an intentional change in a stable version. Fine...it is a bug. Glad to know you aren't deliber...

Friday, 18th December 2015, 23:34

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Beogh's Inappropriate Wrath in v.17

Replies: 15

Views: 2933

Re: Beogh's Inappropriate Wrath in v.17

In my last beogh game, I found out the hard way that throwing while confused can throw in any direction and doesn't prompt you if allies are nearby That's pretty ugly. Surely a prompt is the standard by now? Hope that gets fixed. Still not what happened with me. I have no idea WHY it happened and t...

Friday, 18th December 2015, 23:29

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Beogh's Inappropriate Wrath in v.17

Replies: 15

Views: 2933

Re: Beogh's Inappropriate Wrath in v.17

Nope, tabbing sucks. I almost never tab anything that isn't a) a rat or b) a bat. I don't believe I did any of the above mentioned things that might typically trigger beogh wrath. I have played tons of HOs in previous versions and never once triggered wrath.

Friday, 18th December 2015, 10:49

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Beogh's Inappropriate Wrath in v.17

Replies: 15

Views: 2933

Beogh's Inappropriate Wrath in v.17

I've noticed that playing a Hill Orc (follower of Beogh) in v17 is dangerous because suddenly you will do something unexplained and be in penitence with Beogh without warning or even notification. This seems slightly counterintuitive to me (like a number of changes in V17 that I won't go into becaus...

Sunday, 21st December 2014, 07:39

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Tome 4

Replies: 19

Views: 3500

Re: Tome 4

Really loved my sun paladins on TOME but somewhere long before it hit steam I ran out of will to play it. It isn't that it is bad now or worse in anyway I can think of. I just have too many other distractions. But I do have good intentions to go back there again and maybe pick up a third win at some...

Monday, 1st December 2014, 19:13

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: How to NOT die in Elf?

Replies: 41

Views: 6090

Re: How to NOT die in Elf?

Fix the killholes - give five random final vault elves wands of digging and make them use them when the player isn't visible. And what would you accomplish with that? A lot of players never go to Elf anyway, and after that change the rest wouldn't go there either. I do believe Xua was suggesting to...

Thursday, 6th November 2014, 23:02

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: So how do I get a transmuter past D:2?

Replies: 10

Views: 1620

Re: So how do I get a transmuter past D:2?

Stick to Snakes is annoying (because you have to equip arrows as a weapon, and because your arrows will run out if you have luck at all like mine, long before you are ready for them to. And also because the summons will sometimes just be ineffective meat puppets, but usually if they die you get a ch...

Friday, 31st October 2014, 00:19

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Clusters of Illusions

Replies: 14

Views: 2078

Re: Clusters of Illusions

It is not clustering illusion, we have less potions/scrolls early game :( http://git.develz.org/?p=crawl.git;a=commit;h=fe1f5a6b0eb699d5d39957b9dfe40f2e5214d6a0 Yuck at that change but Sandman you missed the point I think of this thread. :p It is not about posting stuff you have PROOF exists. :p Ho...

Wednesday, 29th October 2014, 06:28

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Clusters of Illusions

Replies: 14

Views: 2078

Clusters of Illusions

I have been noticing something that disturbs me because I expect to be told it is a clustering illusion but in fact it is so consistent that it is difficult to rationally come to any conclusion but that things have changed. So I figure a thread for people who are convinced their particular cluster o...

Saturday, 25th October 2014, 10:01

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Let's make friends! Overrated shit you hate! ://D

Replies: 91

Views: 11314

Re: Let's make friends! Overrated shit you hate! ://D

ZipZipskins wrote:I'd take DVDs with discussion over endless silent worksheets any day of the week, personally

on topic: carrots

Hear, hear! carrots get put in everything "To Go" and I don't really understand why.

Wednesday, 22nd October 2014, 08:41

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Proposal: armor ego that reduces spellcasting penalty

Replies: 40

Views: 4909

Re: Proposal: armor ego that reduces spellcasting penalty

Is this a prime example of Nino?

Sunday, 19th October 2014, 01:33

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Make Demigods a class instead of a race... somehow?

Replies: 103

Views: 10439

Re: Make Demigods a class instead of a race... somehow?

We have races which are just flat out terrible, like Fe fwiw Fe is actually quite good if your goal is winning, though the way you have to play to accomplish that goal is not something most players enjoy. Or even know really. At least I haven't cracked that code anyway. But that is true for me of a...

Sunday, 19th October 2014, 01:31

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Make Demigods a class instead of a race... somehow?

Replies: 103

Views: 10439

Re: Make Demigods a class instead of a race... somehow?

On my HOFE run, I learned Sticky Flame at D:4 and used it to burn my way to and through Lair. I learned Bolt of Fire and L:7 and used it extensively through the game. By the end of my 4 runes game I could cast Fire Storm at 2% failure. Are there stronger Fire spells I am not aware of? Maybe I shoul...

Sunday, 19th October 2014, 00:56

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: God Proposal: Phat

Replies: 26

Views: 2761

Re: God Proposal: Phat

This reminds me of a series I read last year called "The Soldier's Son" which dealt with gluttony and odd magics stemming from it (among many other things.)

Thursday, 16th October 2014, 07:04

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: how to skip the orcish mines and go deeper in the dungeon

Replies: 13

Views: 1989

Re: how to skip the orcish mines and go deeper in the dungeo

Based on the OP name + the description of Orcish Mines on level 3 it seems like this is a trollish thread. I could be mistaken, however.

Sunday, 12th October 2014, 18:13

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: J.R.R. Tolkien

Replies: 21

Views: 2552

Re:

Turukano wrote:Tolkien himself said about Tom Bombadil:

J.R.R. Tolkien wrote:And even in a mythical Age there must be some enigmas, as there always are. Tom Bombadil is one (intentionally).

People who are interested in this discussion might have a look here.

Interesting, thanks for posting. :D

Sunday, 12th October 2014, 00:52

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: J.R.R. Tolkien

Replies: 21

Views: 2552

Re: J.R.R. Tolkien

Nerd rage aside I really enjoyed that post Njvack. The commentators seem to pick just the right holes in the theory to totally debunk it, but it was still very funny and entertaining. Those who take Tolkien too seriously to enjoy such, risk losing perspective. IMHO, Tom Bombadil is a wonderful melan...

Sunday, 12th October 2014, 00:17

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Procedural Magic Roguelike ?

Replies: 8

Views: 2060

Re: Procedural Magic Roguelike ?

Are there any roguelikes featuring procedural magic, suchs as: Example #1: Prerequisites ⋅ metal bowl, knife ⋅ jackal teeth ⋅ scavange jackal corpse ⋅ paralyze jackal; pry teeth ⋅ jelly flesh ⋅ kobold ⋅ wood Casting ⋅ S...

Friday, 10th October 2014, 20:31

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Let's make friends! Overrated shit you hate! ://D

Replies: 91

Views: 11314

Re: Let's make friends! Overrated shit you hate! ://D

MSPaint PeexelAhrt. It's cumbersome, MSPaint sucks and everyone insists it is good for whatever reason. meanwhile i'm a photoshop wizard who pumps shit out at manic speeds because there are so many ways to make things go faster sure it only took me six years to get good at using it but does that me...

Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 23:30

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Let's make friends! Overrated shit you hate! ://D

Replies: 91

Views: 11314

Re: Let's make friends! Overrated shit you hate! ://D

Hirsch I wrote:Hopeless sounds like my grandfather.
I like my grandfather, so thats good.

Hirsch I, I am going to be discussing your punishment with your parents for breaking my cover.

Regards,
Grandpa

Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 23:25

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Let's make friends! Overrated shit you hate! ://D

Replies: 91

Views: 11314

Re: Let's make friends! Overrated shit you hate! ://D

You aren't wrong. Opinions can't be wrong since they contain no facts or untruths. They may be informed by totally stupid or wrong beliefs but that is the nature of opinions. As the nature of taste is that only some will share it with you. I don't think the things you dislike mark you as weird in an...

Wednesday, 8th October 2014, 23:19

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: J.R.R. Tolkien

Replies: 21

Views: 2552

Re: Rename cloak of darkness to cloak of invisibility

Hey, this is GDD, at least have the decency of using spoiler tags, I can smell the hammer from here ;) I tried reading the lord of the rings like five times, every time tom bombadil appeared I just wished for a flamethrower and some way of porting inside the book to burn him, his house, his forest,...

Tuesday, 7th October 2014, 22:07

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: I'm done with DCSS

Replies: 48

Views: 5250

Re: I'm done with DCSS

Sprucery wrote:
Mankeli wrote:
Sprucery wrote:I quit

Fucking liar

I swear! I went to the character creation screen: "What, still no Giants?!". Immediate ragequit.

(Then I started again.)

Yeah but you didn't uninstall. And you opened a previous version and played a Mountain Dwarf Berserker until you splatted him on V4.

Sunday, 5th October 2014, 04:11

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Louise is cheating

Replies: 98

Views: 19879

Re: Louise is cheating

Aule I took your part before because you had a very valid point (even if some people disagree with it) about not getting advice if you don't want it, just in order to post an example. But your assumption of hostility is not one way. Also Duvessa has been as unsarcastic and clear as I've seen him be ...

Saturday, 4th October 2014, 19:40

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Louise is cheating

Replies: 98

Views: 19879

Re: Louise is cheating

Also, just because you died right after going down the stairs doesn't mean it was an unavoidable death. You could have gotten better defenses before doing so. I wonder if we will ever have all buffs immediately expire after changing levels. It's kind of boring to cast Phase Shift/Haste/Stoneskin/Ne...

Saturday, 4th October 2014, 08:38

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: How do vine stalker's look like?

Replies: 53

Views: 7673

Re: How do vine stalker's look like?

Greyr wrote:Do you use these in tabletop games?

Cool idea. "Crawl: the Tabletop game", using modified WH40k rules. Just kidding they would have to be Crawl rules ofc. Sort of like Space Hulk but without the space or the hulks.

Saturday, 4th October 2014, 08:34

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Louise is cheating

Replies: 98

Views: 19879

Re: Louise is cheating

Did you guys not read where he specified he didn't want your opinion? I mean sure you are totally right, but Aule (like many here nowadays, myself included) is a newish (and perhaps bad) player. If he says he is not interested in why he died then take his word for it. (I expect he has tired of the a...

Friday, 3rd October 2014, 19:47

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: 0.15 Beogh gifts

Replies: 6

Views: 1606

Re: 0.15 Beogh gifts

And AFAIK he never grants items to players which is where the comparison to Trog/Oka come in or so I understood from the OP's question so there is that. You can always send them to death from monsters :P Heh I considered this after my last post. :D But that would be sooooo sleezy, I can't believe B...

Friday, 3rd October 2014, 19:39

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Louise is cheating

Replies: 98

Views: 19879

Re: Louise is cheating

Is an argument about nothing still an argument? There started off the philosophy section of this thread. :D

Friday, 3rd October 2014, 08:13

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: 0.15 Beogh gifts

Replies: 6

Views: 1606

Re: 0.15 Beogh gifts

That's not true, Beogh will gift naked orcs equipment and upgrade their weapons and armour (both enchantment and base types) in 0.15. I don't know about the finer details, though. I know he'll gift ranged weapons and ammo. A little more specificity would be good when refuting a claim. What I said i...

Thursday, 2nd October 2014, 08:19

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: How do vine stalker's look like?

Replies: 53

Views: 7673

Re: How do vine stalker's look like?

These are just outstanding. Well done!

Monday, 29th September 2014, 05:02

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Why can't formicids wear 2 pairs of gloves?

Replies: 24

Views: 3206

Re: Why can't formicids wear 2 pairs of gloves?

The two rings "rule of thumb" thing that games seem to adopt readily goes back to D&D rules where characters were allowed to have two Magic Ring slots activate at any time which I guess prevented some hoarding and other min-max (twinky?) behavior. So it sticks around 30-40 years later...

Sunday, 28th September 2014, 22:00

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Let's Get Physical

Replies: 12

Views: 1752

Re: Let's Get Physical

Aule the way people respond to change is what defines their character. As each of us is unique, I'd imagine our responses to the changes in our lives and the consequent learning we must do in order to adapt appropriately are unique. I think having an open mind is probably all that is required to avo...

Sunday, 28th September 2014, 00:17

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Why can't formicids wear 2 pairs of gloves?

Replies: 24

Views: 3206

Re: Why can't formicids wear 2 pairs of gloves?

The two rings "rule of thumb" thing that games seem to adopt readily goes back to D&D rules where characters were allowed to have two Magic Ring slots activate at any time which I guess prevented some hoarding and other min-max (twinky?) behavior. So it sticks around 30-40 years later ...

Saturday, 27th September 2014, 20:02

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Louise is cheating

Replies: 98

Views: 19879

Re: Louise is cheating

99% Kill rate death trap next to start area. As long as we are aiming for lets see how stupidly lethal a dungeon can be with no good outs.

Thursday, 25th September 2014, 06:46

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Louise is cheating

Replies: 98

Views: 19879

Re: Louise is cheating

It is, alas, a random game, and things like this will happen. It's a design decision: http://crawl.develz.org/other/manual.html#balance And being cast from Snake:3 to Abyss is far, far, far from the worst thing that can happen in Crawl. It could have been Nikola :) I think you might have missed the...

Thursday, 25th September 2014, 06:44

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: 0.15 Beogh gifts

Replies: 6

Views: 1606

Re: 0.15 Beogh gifts

Hello, crawling community. Do you know exactly how works the new 0.15 Beogh ability to grant new equipment? I know he now gifts ammunition and ranged weapons, armour, and weapons. Interestingly, he even grants weapons if the named orc follower have one already. Liek he granting a +1 glaive to a hal...

Thursday, 25th September 2014, 06:40

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: version 16a0743 blink contam?

Replies: 9

Views: 1609

Re: version 16a0743 blink contam?

Scroll has given contam for as long as I have played, since .12 at least. Are you using 3 blink scrolls in a row or something? I noticed your OP didn't mention getting yellow contam, or mutating. Did those things happen, or are you only talking about grey contam? 1x scroll of blinking in .16 gives ...

Wednesday, 24th September 2014, 18:56

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: version 16a0743 blink contam?

Replies: 9

Views: 1609

Re: version 16a0743 blink contam?

How interesting. This version is the first time I have noticed grey glow at all from blinking or teleporting. And it happens EVERY time now not just randomly. It is consistent so not based on a %. It may be that the changelog didn't note the increase in amount gained from every reading of it. Imho i...

Wednesday, 24th September 2014, 07:44

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: version 16a0743 blink contam?

Replies: 9

Views: 1609

version 16a0743 blink contam?

Reading a scroll in this version apparently causes contamination? I don't understand this change nor is it listed in the version information (?V) as a recent change. Anyone know why this has been done, if it is a change that will happen to the stable builds or is a temporary change just in trunk?

Saturday, 20th September 2014, 14:48

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: I hate the abyss! It's going to stop me playing

Replies: 13

Views: 2420

Re: I hate the abyss! It's going to stop me playing

The Abyss is the eyesore that defines Crawl. While most of the game is a beautiful balance of danger vs reward, the Abyss is merely there due to schadenfreude and or the bizarre notion that some people might enjoy it. As has been said using diagonal movement affords you the greatest chance of escape...

Saturday, 20th September 2014, 05:17

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Orb of Oddities

Replies: 21

Views: 2796

Re: Orb of Oddities

Glad to see some people are on the same filthy wavelength as my brain. Of course my excuse is I am just finishing season 3 of GOT. (Thanks NYPL!)

Saturday, 20th September 2014, 05:14

Forum: YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too

Topic: I have won all 26 races!

Replies: 18

Views: 2404

Re: I have won all 26 races!

Congrats I've only managed two in the last 8 months: Mino and DD. Guess it is easier for some than others.

Wednesday, 17th September 2014, 08:31

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Orb of Oddities

Replies: 21

Views: 2796

Re: Orb of Oddities

headcrab0803 wrote:eating elves is pretty damn bad-ass

Only if you aren't an Elf. Otherwise youd be a Lannister.

Tuesday, 16th September 2014, 17:32

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Zin and beneficial mutations

Replies: 19

Views: 3472

Re: Zin and beneficial mutations

Should Zin care if you renounce him, use a bunch of draining wands and eat the yaktaur victims, and come back? The piety is your penalty for doing that. None of those things will continue to benefit you actively while you are worshiping Zin. Unlike !benemut. Does Zin care if you have drunk !BeneMut...

Tuesday, 16th September 2014, 06:29

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: miss nude world universe

Replies: 14

Views: 2852

Re: miss nude world universe

and its the nude universe he misses I think...*shudder* ala Lovecraftian pale.

Thursday, 11th September 2014, 19:58

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: 2 init file questions

Replies: 10

Views: 2105

Re: 2 init file questions

i'm no lua expert, but i believe that ~= actually means not equal to, so the numbers should be reversed there, or the ~= should be turned into == That did the trick. : if you.race() == "Deep Dwarf" autofight_stop = 20 : else autofight_stop = 60 : end But for some reason that now prevents ...

Wednesday, 10th September 2014, 19:53

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: What bad advice would you give to people you don't like?

Replies: 177

Views: 38189

Re:

When you are in a dangerous situation with low HP in tomb, don't read a scroll of teleportation immediately. First read a scroll of silence to prevent greater mummies from tormenting you - and then read a scroll of teleportation. Or read the Teleportation Scroll as planned but quaff a potion of Lig...
Next

Return to advanced search

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.