Search found 141 matches

Thursday, 22nd January 2015, 01:34

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Trying out a DD

Replies: 22

Views: 2472

Re: Trying out a DD

I like playing DDHe.

Tuesday, 28th October 2014, 09:22

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Mutations

Replies: 45

Views: 7127

Re: Mutations

What's with the "beneficial mutation is bad because it makes it harder to remove bad mutations" crowd? As a disclaimer I'm the sort to target 3-5 runes, not 15, but bad mutations don't even happen for 95 percent of the game, only a few of them are *really* bad, cureMut removes what 1d7 and...

Thursday, 25th September 2014, 22:19

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Buff Sif a little

Replies: 81

Views: 8471

Re: Buff Sif a little

I also think Sif channeling is quite good and can't quite believe people are serious about CBoE, which requires vastly more invo to be any good and is pretty much only useful for sustaining high mana throughput in the few situations where that's meaningful. Not only is it useless in an emergency it ...

Saturday, 30th August 2014, 06:00

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Bring itemdest back (and corrosion, maybe)

Replies: 107

Views: 11191

Re: Bring itemdest back (and corrosion, maybe)

I'd remove pan.

though obviously first six levels of hells need a revamp

Friday, 29th August 2014, 17:49

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Bring itemdest back (and corrosion, maybe)

Replies: 107

Views: 11191

Re: Bring itemdest back (and corrosion, maybe)

I kind of like the idea of item destruction becoming a special effect for certain monsterss. The comparison that comes to mind is the shining eye - not a damage threat, easy to remove, but presenting a special threat of permanent consequences if you don't deal with it fast enough. Maybe a destructio...

Thursday, 28th August 2014, 00:25

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Energy randomization is not fun

Replies: 39

Views: 3172

Re: Energy randomization is not fun

I often pillar dance melee brutes knowing that energy randomization will give me that one tile distance needed to escape up stairs. what I'm saying is sometimes it encourages pillar dancing sometimes it discourages it (in the way it was intended to) but I think its pretty neutral on balance. so it ...

Thursday, 28th August 2014, 00:22

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: God Gender

Replies: 71

Views: 7532

Re: God Gender

what the hell exactly is wrong with singular "they?" give it up people

Thursday, 28th August 2014, 00:07

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Energy randomization is not fun

Replies: 39

Views: 3172

Re: Energy randomization is not fun

Am I the only one who *likes* energy randomization? Certainly it doesn't really discourage pillar-and-corridor-dancing if that was the original point but it doesn't encourage it either - it just makes it and other running-away situations less dull. I like the tension of worrying about taking an unlu...

Monday, 18th August 2014, 16:18

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: FR: Hat of Complete Protection

Replies: 7

Views: 1002

Re: FR: Hat of Complete Protection

Bloax wrote:I would gladly wear a ring of {rF+, rC+, rN+, MR+, rElec, rPois, rCorr} over the ring of robustness.


I wouldn't.

Except situationally if I was hard up for rF or MR I guess.

Tuesday, 5th August 2014, 21:02

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Proposal: Revise Scroll of Immolation

Replies: 13

Views: 1061

Re: Proposal: Revise Scroll of Immolation

the opening ambush isn't the hard part of V:5 - if anything it's more of a warning

Monday, 28th July 2014, 19:58

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: how can we get more girls to play

Replies: 242

Views: 26918

Re: how can we get more girls to play

women can't go to the moon because the moon controls menstruation and when you get too close things can get messy (sorry)

Friday, 25th July 2014, 18:51

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: how can we get more girls to play

Replies: 242

Views: 26918

Re: how can we get more girls to play

It's not about how bad it is or who is in the wrong. That whole idea that some people are more oppressed than others only nurtures inequality and hatred. I can't even Anyway I'll just say I didn't remotely advocate hating white men and explicitly disavowed scapegoating people as evil racists. And I...

Friday, 25th July 2014, 03:40

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: how can we get more girls to play

Replies: 242

Views: 26918

Re: how can we get more girls to play

What does 'no, dude, just no' refer to? Blanket statements about races or genders aren't considered prejudiced? I disagree, and even the person who made the statement agreed it was an unfair generalization. Well, I already explained how I don't think it's actually an unfair generalization at the ex...

Thursday, 24th July 2014, 19:38

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: how can we get more girls to play

Replies: 242

Views: 26918

Re: how can we get more girls to play

[ Meaning, these people may not actually be specifically hostile toward women, instead they're just generally hostile, and will use whatever they think will get the biggest reaction. So, they'll be terrible chauvinists toward women, racist toward black people, ageist against young and old people, et...

Thursday, 24th July 2014, 19:32

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: how can we get more girls to play

Replies: 242

Views: 26918

Re: how can we get more girls to play

I don't know that I am used to be listened to and deferred to, but then, I guess I forget to mention that I'm a white male most of the time, so maybe I'm just missing out on all the bonus respect I'm supposed to be getting for no good reason. If I made a similar statement about any other group of p...

Wednesday, 23rd July 2014, 00:42

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: how can we get more girls to play

Replies: 242

Views: 26918

Re: how can we get more girls to play

But actually addressing this, as a statistician, I seriously question her work. She may be right, of course, but her methods aren't convincing to me because they are not scientific and are, in fact, based on anecdotal evidence. "Man, I had such a shitty day at work today..." "Oh yeah...

Monday, 21st July 2014, 19:46

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Common Misconceptions and Game Tips

Replies: 61

Views: 7771

Re: Common Misconceptions and Game Tips

Here's one that I find kind of interesting: the more that you give names to the phenomena that you're talking about, the more likely your reasoning is to be wrong. I think this is a correlation vs. causation fallacy: when a phenomenon is familiar enough to warrant naming, one gravitates to it due t...

Monday, 21st July 2014, 19:21

Forum: YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too

Topic: YAVP: DECj. Death by Panlord. Minutes away from ascending.

Replies: 13

Views: 663

Re: YAVP: DECj. Death by Panlord. Minutes away from ascendin

As far as I know 2AC are roughly equal to 1 damage reduction. Honestly I can't see how even 20 AC would make much difference considering I had meatshields (shadow creatures) for depths and beyond, blink, dispersal (why didn't I use it against that panlord?!) and pretty much unlimited mana (with chu...

Tuesday, 15th July 2014, 02:56

Forum: YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too

Topic: YASD: DAMN YOU, PLUTONIUM SWORD!

Replies: 2

Views: 614

Re: YASD: DAMN YOU, PLUTONIUM SWORD!

Category wrote:And here, we have the actual story of how Becquerel discovered radioactivity.


In his day they only had uranium swords though...

Saturday, 12th July 2014, 01:22

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: A Nethacker's Guide to Life

Replies: 14

Views: 730

Re: A Nethacker's Guide to Life

In this way, the game mirrors life. We are all players who have been building our characters for our entire lives. Uncooked red meat? Texting while driving? Sex without a condom? Despite the 0.01% chance of these things being fatal, a Nethacker knows that it just isn't worth it. But roguelikes make...

Friday, 11th July 2014, 04:01

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Most annoying branch

Replies: 14

Views: 1305

Re: Most annoying branch

least annoying lair rune branch = snake, but i'm actually pretty okay with shoals. swamp is easily the worst, because of the layout (combined with general water issues) and monster set

Thursday, 10th July 2014, 23:48

Forum: YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too

Topic: Deep Dwarf Fighter going for first win...

Replies: 25

Views: 1864

Re: Deep Dwarf Fighter going for first win...

Slime is generally considered part of extended and a very dangerous choice for your third rune. The third run is generally always vaults, although a few times I've gotten the abyssal rune instead. Note that the abyss has gotten slightly nastier lately, and so that might be even less of an alternati...

Thursday, 10th July 2014, 19:26

Forum: YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too

Topic: YAVP: OpEE^Chei, finally breaking the Op splatstreak!

Replies: 13

Views: 887

Re: YAVP: OpEE^Chei, finally breaking the Op splatstreak!

But an orb of fire? If you have rF+++, there's really not much they can do. They become extremely weak. If you have no rF, you're more or less on a suicide mission. Obviously 95% of characters have rF+ or rF++ and it's a reasonable fight, and works well. I fully realize I'm talking about the edge c...

Sunday, 29th June 2014, 04:30

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Problems with recent Beogh changes

Replies: 35

Views: 6546

Re: Why do not you communicate with the user?

Suggestion (1) would return us to that problem, so it's not going to happen. Frankly I think the solution is worse than the problem in this case. Playing an ally-oriented god you have to be open to some level of micromanagement. Being able to improve your allies equipment as the game goes on just m...

Tuesday, 24th June 2014, 00:21

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Food proposal

Replies: 39

Views: 4556

Re: Food proposal

KittenInMyCerealz wrote:I also think that most people who are against your "ideas" simply don't bother replying to this thread because they find your claims ridiculous.


Yes I'm sure you have lots of supporters reading this thread just sitting there being too right about everything to comment...

Wednesday, 18th June 2014, 07:59

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Best Bolt?

Replies: 42

Views: 4820

Re: Best Bolt?

Probably it would have been more thought provoking to word it, 'why should you ever, ever, be doing that'? That might have also avoided the predictable reaction of someone angrily going, Why, I do that! Because XYZ. I'm not angrily going anything I genuinely would like to know what he's getting at.

Wednesday, 18th June 2014, 01:42

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Best Bolt?

Replies: 42

Views: 4820

Re: Best Bolt?

Magma and Venom are passable bolts. I choose them mostly when they are my only viable choice. Magma bolt is actually excellent if you happen to be training both Fire and Earth; I think I'd even prefer it over Bolt of Fire in that case. Why would you ever, ever be doing that? Because you started FE ...

Monday, 16th June 2014, 21:02

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Your luckiest start?

Replies: 8

Views: 606

Re: Your luckiest start?

HuNe, whip of pain on D:2-3?

Saturday, 14th June 2014, 11:47

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Making resistances more fine-grained

Replies: 19

Views: 1323

Re: Making resistances more fine-grained

the pointlessly huge number of damage/resistance types is one of the very worst things about ToME. the number of stats on items in general - it is absurd how confusing it is to try to figure out what is best for a particular character/situation

Monday, 9th June 2014, 11:31

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: General Z5 Tips?

Replies: 28

Views: 2443

Re: General Z5 Tips?

You can just leave out one of the "lungs" of the orb chamber out and retreat by the way you came, no need to kill nearly everything in Zot:5. This strategy is safer (compared to teleroulette) if you have sufficient killing power, but not viable for some characters. This raises an interest...

Saturday, 7th June 2014, 07:23

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: 427?

Replies: 12

Views: 1278

Re: 427?

there was a little while I didn't do much else than get high and play crawl but I kind of inexplicably stopped really smoking weed at some point recently, for no particular reason other than I have other things to do and I guess I got kind of bored of it

Wednesday, 4th June 2014, 01:14

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: more ac per enchantment on heavy armors

Replies: 9

Views: 1158

Re: more ac per enchantment on heavy armors

as suggested, there's an obvious tradeoff to using enchants on auxillary armor early and it's that you are *plenty* likely to discard any given slot for a better item. good people tend to do it anyway because a few instantaneous points AC is worth a lot early and less later

Sunday, 1st June 2014, 08:13

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: What is wrong with Crawl

Replies: 23

Views: 2713

Re: What is wrong with Crawl

So telling outright lies(like mummies are good defensively( and then saying I'm wrong instead of posting any actual truthful counterpoints is...sad. Outright lies like... Demigods are frail? edit: just to be clear that I'm making a point, not starting another stupid argument, neither of those state...

Friday, 30th May 2014, 07:45

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Tedium and the Illusion of Lethality

Replies: 149

Views: 15108

Re: Tedium and the Illusion of Lethality

another thing to note is that for obvious reasons, players get more practice pre-lair sooner. but they seem to reach a plateau

Thursday, 29th May 2014, 19:12

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Tedium and the Illusion of Lethality

Replies: 149

Views: 15108

Re: Tedium and the Illusion of Lethality

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not saying the early game is less dangerous than the later game, just that it's less difficult. Sar kinda scooped me but I was being more specific: I see what you're saying but I'm not convinced, because after the first few levels you have fairly reliable outs to most si...

Wednesday, 28th May 2014, 20:33

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: How do I planted TrEE?

Replies: 21

Views: 2120

Re:

Turukano wrote:The "one wrong step problem" with Chei prevents me from joining him - although I have been told that it's not as dangerous as I think.


Nope, it is!

Ashenzari is always good.

Wednesday, 28th May 2014, 20:10

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: DsMo questions

Replies: 10

Views: 1072

Re: DsMo questions

I don't know what you mean by "late-game" but necromutation is only worthwhile for the Pan/Hell/Tomb sort of "late-game" and excepting Tomb not even that great for the skill required. And having Kiku actually makes it less good, because you already have torment resist and curse p...

Sunday, 25th May 2014, 19:26

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Equipping skeletons

Replies: 4

Views: 585

Re: Equipping skeletons

Will the ally weapon settings (CTRL-T I think) affect this?

Saturday, 24th May 2014, 23:40

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Tedium and the Illusion of Lethality

Replies: 149

Views: 15108

Re: Tedium and the Illusion of Lethality

Depths didn't remove anything, it made the game longer . I still do not believe this. We should look at the stats though I guess. The game is balanced for them in terms of the lategame. It is only the super elite 1% who have ascended several dozen if not hundreds of times that are arguing the game ...

Saturday, 24th May 2014, 05:55

Forum: YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too

Topic: CiP: MuCj background

Replies: 18

Views: 1021

Re: CiP: MuCj background

NessOnett wrote:Ignoring the fact that intrinsics can range... to modifiers like Wiz which are extremely helpful to Cjs


this is not actually a thing, right?

Saturday, 24th May 2014, 05:07

Forum: YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too

Topic: CIP DsWz w/ whip of pain and Necronomicon!

Replies: 4

Views: 514

Re: CIP DsWz w/ whip of pain and Necronomicon!

Man, if you're going deep into necro a regular whip of pain is an acceptable weapon against basically anything without rN. If I had only one demon whip I might rather try to get a good "everything else" brand on it. But you have that Kiku brand just waiting... Obviously it won't really mat...

Friday, 23rd May 2014, 11:39

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Tedium and the Illusion of Lethality

Replies: 149

Views: 15108

Re: Tedium and the Illusion of Lethality

Honestly given the number of times the high-skill players in this thread are documented to have completed this game I think the fact that it got dull for them is one of those problems that's not really a problem. I mean I on the other hand have relatively recently reached a skill threshold where I w...

Wednesday, 21st May 2014, 21:26

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Tedium and the Illusion of Lethality

Replies: 149

Views: 15108

Re: Tedium and the Illusion of Lethality

Attrition mechanics may not be the best solution. Actually I'm going to go so far as say they definintely are not. Having considered it more I think attrition mechanics encourage extremely cautious play more than the current paradigm, for psychological reasons. Players hate giving up power or resou...

Wednesday, 21st May 2014, 20:57

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Tedium and the Illusion of Lethality

Replies: 149

Views: 15108

Re: Tedium and the Illusion of Lethality

Also, Crawl already has a scoring system that rewards more aggressive play. So if you think the playstyle required to maximize win rate/streak is dull, maybe you should be trying to set high scores/minimize turncount/even realtime speedrun instead

Wednesday, 21st May 2014, 20:45

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Tedium and the Illusion of Lethality

Replies: 149

Views: 15108

Re: Tedium and the Illusion of Lethality

I think I'm going to try to kind of agree with both Igxfl AND TDA here. I think attrition-oriented characters like DDHe or even more susceptible DD with no god healing at all can actually be pretty fun. But that' s partly because they represent a change from the status quo. It's also apparent to me ...

Wednesday, 21st May 2014, 01:15

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Gods Fun Survey

Replies: 60

Views: 4549

Re: Gods Fun Survey

So do a lot of you just dislike allies? I think the answer is "yes" but I explained my specific stance. For all allies, even very temporary ones, there is one AI problem, which is that enemy AI is not really equipped to deal with a whole horde of things coming at it and filling up tiles, ...

Tuesday, 20th May 2014, 23:16

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Gods Fun Survey

Replies: 60

Views: 4549

Re: Gods Fun Survey

Jumping out of planes(Skydiving) is fun. People pay thousands of dollars to do it on a regular basis because it's fun. If it wasn't fun, nobody would be willing to pay so much to do it. But a lot of people are scared, lazy, poor, etc. And therefore don't do it. And in this context, those people wou...

Tuesday, 20th May 2014, 22:22

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Usefulness of strength relative to other stats

Replies: 27

Views: 2104

Re: Weightless experimental branch playable on CSZO

NessOnett wrote:As well as Dex usually adding more damage to "most" weapons when compared to strength.


This is almost certainly not true, it's just that dex tends to be somewhat preferable overall once you have decent str for your armor looking at all the things it does.

Tuesday, 20th May 2014, 17:44

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Gods Fun Survey

Replies: 60

Views: 4549

Re: Gods Fun Survey

Though I suppose the main problem with surveys like this is that the point of the game is to have variety because not everything will appeal to everyone. Gods like Beogh are super fun, unique, and interesting, for a select group of people. But the vast majority who don't play Beogh(many of whom hav...

Saturday, 17th May 2014, 03:37

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Species -Fun- Survey

Replies: 46

Views: 5236

Re: Species -Fun- Survey

duvessa wrote:sif, least intrusive god


?? "Here, have this book! Here, have this book! Oh, you'll like this one, I promise. Have this book!"
Next

Return to advanced search

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.