Search found 5775 matches

Yesterday, 23:12

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Next Step for MiBe of Trog?

Replies: 12

Views: 191

Re: Next Step for MiBe of Trog?

duvessa wrote:real dwhip > theoretical eveningstar, especially on a character with horns

That can probably be generalized to "real weapon" > "theoretical weapon"

Yesterday, 23:06

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Next Step for MiBe of Trog?

Replies: 12

Views: 191

Re: Next Step for MiBe of Trog?

I'd enchant the dwhip now, gaining guaranteed power now is generally better than maybe gaining more power later. Additionally, I'm not sure that an eveningstar is better than a demon whip. They're mostly equal as base types, some opponents and brands slightly favor the demon whip, and some favor th...

Thursday, 20th September 2018, 15:12

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Kobolds are just worse deep elves

Replies: 18

Views: 972

Re: Kobolds are just worse deep elves

CanOfWorms wrote:
Siegurt wrote:And blowguns...

No, that was removed.

Shows how recently I tried to take advantage of blowgun stabbing:
https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/f ... 2422b7fc6e

Wednesday, 19th September 2018, 14:34

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Kobolds are just worse deep elves

Replies: 18

Views: 972

Re: Kobolds are just worse deep elves

Kobolts can use crossbows to stab critters relatively effectively, right? I mean, with high stealth & crossbow skill, the 1st shot should deal double damage, which is more important for crossbows than for longbows because crossbows have a higher base damage. I say 'should' because I haven't pla...

Tuesday, 18th September 2018, 07:20

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Ozo's Armour change discussion

Replies: 22

Views: 1339

Re: Ozo's Armour change discussion

arcanemastermind wrote:I suppose we can have different definitions of "stack", but I'd call mutually exclusive activation criteria "not stacking".

You can activate both at the same time with the '.' (or 's') key

Monday, 17th September 2018, 15:35

Forum: YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too

Topic: CIP: advice for DgWz^Air - tetris, strategy, and a Balrug

Replies: 20

Views: 434

Re: CIP: DgWz in Lair

It's almost always more efficient to skip/avoid encounters you don't feel comfortable with (in your case RELec monsters) than warping and wrecking your skillset to be able to face the occasional one. JFYI, Airstrike kills rElec creatures pretty effectively (which is mostly sky beasts, shock serpent...

Monday, 17th September 2018, 01:49

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: 4000 THANK QUEST

Replies: 605

Views: 32811

Re: 4000 THANK QUEST

You dial a random number. "Hello, gold and silver!" HP: ============================== 30/30 PP: ==================== 20/20 GP: =------------------- 1/20 AC: -5 Key Ijyb's pants (1AC) the cursed thoroughly rusted -7 helmet of Okawaru's Regard {Stlth-} (worn) (-9AC) Terence's pants (1AC) W...

Sunday, 16th September 2018, 23:20

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: 4000 THANK QUEST

Replies: 605

Views: 32811

Re: 4000 THANK QUEST

duvessa wrote:Which item(s) do you want to use?

Menkaure's zPhone

Sunday, 16th September 2018, 22:38

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: 4000 THANK QUEST

Replies: 605

Views: 32811

Re: 4000 THANK QUEST

You wake up. HP: ============================== 30/30 PP: ==================== 20/20 GP: =------------------- 1/20 AC: -5 Key Ijyb's pants (1AC) the cursed thoroughly rusted -7 helmet of Okawaru's Regard {Stlth-} (worn) (-9AC) Terence's pants (1AC) Wand of enslavement (10) Small prune chip cluster ...

Sunday, 16th September 2018, 19:58

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Trove reporting

Replies: 417

Views: 48309

Re: Trove reporting

Trove on D:15 Ticket: +5 fire dragon scales (killed Xtahua for a +3, but finding the last couple enchants took Abyss scumming) Interesting because this character is trained up to exec axe. Sort of "meh, okay" at level 27 because the brands and stats aren't as generally exciting as the +9 ...

Friday, 14th September 2018, 16:37

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Bug in Labyrinth? a stash with translucent stone walls

Replies: 12

Views: 534

Re: Bug in Labyrinth? a stash with translucent stone walls

Stonar wrote:Nobody has said this explicitly so far - LRD doesn't let you bust open walls any more.

That said, these vaults can be entered with Passwall. I think they should probably be removed, but you don't need Shatter to get in.

Passwall only lets you go through rock, not stone.

Friday, 14th September 2018, 15:22

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: ghost mode?

Replies: 2

Views: 171

Re: ghost mode?

In your morgue there's a .lst file that contains all the objects in the dungeon (on levels you visited) and their location (it's just plain text)

Thursday, 13th September 2018, 21:01

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Help me pick a weapon!

Replies: 11

Views: 433

Re: Help me pick a weapon!

Character Dump: https://crawl.jorgrun.rocks/morgue/ff7hero/ff7hero.txt Sorry for being brief, but this post has already been deleted by forum gremlins twice. My Vine Stalker has trained UC fairly exclusively (it's currently at 10.6), but I just found +10 Falchion of Draining with Str +3. I also hav...

Thursday, 13th September 2018, 13:18

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: RNG Trolling

Replies: 0

Views: 164

RNG Trolling

Sometimes I feel like the RNG in DCSS is just trolling me: Welcome, Zebra the Draconian Conjurer. The bosom of this dungeon contains the fabled artefact, the Orb of Zot. Press ? for a list of commands and other information. Found a ration. _Found a staircase leading out of the dungeon. _Found a hunt...

Monday, 10th September 2018, 19:46

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Remove Summoner Kill Experience Penalty

Replies: 44

Views: 1362

Re: Remove Summoner Kill Experience Penalty

The exp penalty does feel a bit ad-hocy though. Just kicking things around maybe it would be better to tie it to an explicit resource like how invo/evo work? Like each different summon requires a physical material of some reasonably common sort? (Similar to how sandblast requires stones) That's a p...

Monday, 10th September 2018, 15:14

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Hybridization-encouraging monsters

Replies: 16

Views: 610

Re: Hybridization-encouraging monsters

I had read that thread. I think you want to make summoning weaker because it's too strong. If that's the case, just try to make it weaker. My understanding is that devs don't want to make it weaker, otherwise they would not introduce XP penalty instead of simply nerfing it. When Borgnjor's Vile Clu...

Saturday, 8th September 2018, 22:53

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Let's play equipment tetris!

Replies: 9

Views: 530

Re: Let's play equipment tetris!

i'm not going to give any advice i'm just here to say i hate you for finding buffed vampire's tooth on a vine stalker Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.22.0 (console) character file. Joe the Peltast (Vine Stalker Gladiator) Turns: 27631, Time: 02:19:44 Health: 96/96 AC: 29 Str: 24 XL: 18 Next: 37%...

Friday, 7th September 2018, 20:46

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Proposal: Gnoll should be "simple" race

Replies: 18

Views: 1285

Re: Allow * focused skills training?

Gnolls have all their skills: + selected. Has there ever been a discussion about allowing them to change their skills training to also allow for: * focused ? This would allow new crawlers to learn more about skill investments without allowing for huge mistakes, which on other species is often a sou...

Friday, 7th September 2018, 19:12

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Can someone define distressingly furry?

Replies: 5

Views: 469

Re: Can someone define distressingly furry?

Bonus action shot:
Image

Friday, 7th September 2018, 17:36

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Remove Summoner Kill Experience Penalty

Replies: 44

Views: 1362

Re: Remove Summoner Kill Experience Penalty

Instead, I think the following: XP penalty is a very badly designed feature. If it is too small to matter, then why we have it? If nobody cares, why we have it? If it is big enough so players need to adjust their playstyle, I think it leads to tedious play. FWIW I think it's big enough to encourage...

Thursday, 6th September 2018, 04:07

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Remove Summoner Kill Experience Penalty

Replies: 44

Views: 1362

Re: Remove Summoner Kill Experience Penalty

Again, assuming there's a problem, and one still wants to aim for the goal I mentioned above. Here's a more wacky proposal: Convert the avoidance of the penalty into a "reverse bonus". Namely: you get bonus XP for the damage you do when fighting alongside your summons. So, you get anywher...

Wednesday, 5th September 2018, 17:20

Forum: Technical Support

Topic: Nightly build page stuck again

Replies: 4

Views: 202

Re: Nightly build page stuck again

From my understanding, nightly builds have not been happening in over a month since I DLed the following on Aug 1st: http://crawl.develz.org/trunk/crawl_setup-0.23-a0-8-gb809bb7.exe As per https://crawl.develz.org/mantis/view.php?id=11574 , advil suggested I search in #crawl-dev for: "<Gretell...

Wednesday, 5th September 2018, 16:55

Forum: Technical Support

Topic: Nightly build page stuck again

Replies: 4

Views: 202

Re: Nightly build page stuck again

Also, just a warning, 0.23 trunk is not compatible with 0.22 save files.

Wednesday, 5th September 2018, 15:52

Forum: Technical Support

Topic: Nightly build page stuck again

Replies: 4

Views: 202

Re: Nightly build page stuck again

While the actual Windows build trunk downloads page is still not updating, (but nightly windows builds are happening) the RSS feeds do appear to be updating, if you want to download the current trunk version for windows (and not build it yourself), you can click on the link to the rss feed (the oran...

Monday, 3rd September 2018, 20:30

Forum: YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too

Topic: CiP : GnGl^Wu Jian, can Slay-3 be worth ?

Replies: 1

Views: 141

Re: CiP : GnGl^Wu Jian, can Slay-3 be worth ?

So Slay -3 is pretty significant, but not overwhelmingly so. The amount of damage it removes from your offense is constant, but as the game progresses, the amount of damage you do will increase, decreasing the percentage of your total damage. What won't particularly increase is your bite damage, whi...

Sunday, 2nd September 2018, 14:58

Forum: Technical Support

Topic: Can't Connect to IRC

Replies: 3

Views: 153

Re: Can't Connect to IRC

When I try to join the IRC channel, I receive the following messages: [10:27] -freenode-connect- Due to the persistent ongoing spam, all new connections are being set +R (block messages from unidentified users) and will be scanned for vulnerabilities. This will not harm your computer, and vulnerabl...

Sunday, 2nd September 2018, 07:19

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Ick

Replies: 0

Views: 232

Ick

  Code:
10048 | D:7      | Noticed a skeletal warrior

(That's a big old pile of nope.)

Sunday, 2nd September 2018, 00:56

Forum: YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too

Topic: CIP: VpEn^Sif Reflections

Replies: 1

Views: 160

Re: CIP: VpEn^Sif Reflections

Metabolic englaciation is like haste (but backwards, and stacks with it), it also hits everything on screen with a possible status effect, which is a good way to either separate packs, or use with Yara's for a draining effect that lets you hex things more easily (incidentally bolt of draining pairs ...

Thursday, 30th August 2018, 21:16

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Suggestion: Console colors

Replies: 10

Views: 488

Re: Suggestion: Console colors

...but some abstract colours are still nearly guaranteed to be brighter than others. It is a fair assumption that blue on black is going to be less readable than white on black. So is the proposal then "just don't use the colors that are likely to be less visible for anything at all" I me...

Thursday, 30th August 2018, 05:56

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Suggestion: Console colors

Replies: 10

Views: 488

Re: Suggestion: Console colors

Programs running in consoles don't have that much control over the actual colors used, typically they get to pick from 8 or 16 colors (however many the console makes available, more frequently it's 16 nowadays). The host console program that crawl is running in gets to decide what the actual colors ...

Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 19:14

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Minor UI additions

Replies: 4

Views: 285

Re: Minor UI additions

I second being able to search in the message history, also in the help files and in the morgue viewer. 6 already does something, but the command is probably quite doable in LUA and assignable to a key of your choosing. and demonspawn's monstorousness would be nice to indicate, although you can tell ...

Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 19:09

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: killed by...in tournament

Replies: 8

Views: 532

Re: killed by...in tournament

though it's a little embarrassing to see that ironbrand convokers and shadow demons have only 1, considering how many you'll run into. Convokers are also likely to kill you indirectly, rather than directly (I don't know if shadow demon's summons count towards the shadow demon's kills directly for t...

Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 17:15

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Best way to escape Mennas?

Replies: 15

Views: 699

Re: Best way to escape Mennas?

I think 21-23 Axes is a bit too low. Let's disregard aux attacks for now, and look at a plain Human with 20 Str. I fsim'ed +5 axes of chopping against a fire giant, and the exec axe only caught up around 23 Axes. However, the exec axe had higher variance. 24 axes might be a bit too high. About 23 A...

Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 17:06

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Memes

Replies: 50

Views: 1346

Re: Memes

I doubt the percentages are correct, *most* fights in my games involve fighting multiple enemies at once, and I'm almost always fighting many enemies in succession before I can rest. But even if they were correct, when the 15-25% case is you being attacked by many enemies at once, it is absolutely ...

Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 16:15

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Memes

Replies: 50

Views: 1346

Re: Memes

Berder wrote:It's only non-streakers who think patience is the only ingredient. You have to have good tactics and good strategy, and it improves your perspective on what things are strong and what things are weak.

Well, to be fair, you do need patience to *use* good tactics and good strategy.

Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 16:13

Forum: Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Topic: Memes

Replies: 50

Views: 1346

Re: Memes

Some of these I haven't actually heard repeated enough by enough people to qualify as Memes, a lot of these are hyperbole, and certainly some of these have been repeated when they probably shouldn't have been. For example I've heard both "Necromancy is really strong" and "Summons are ...

Monday, 27th August 2018, 18:33

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Tournament rules can cause health problems

Replies: 67

Views: 3686

Re: Tournament rules can cause health problems

I guess I don't fully understand the intent of having a tournament that's this long. If the idea is "make it so people have a two week window in which they can schedule a couple days of play and be competitive" then it's not working very well. I actually think the 16 days is very effectiv...

Monday, 27th August 2018, 15:01

Forum: YASD! YAVP! and characters in progress too

Topic: YAVP - 1st Win (Troll Berserker)

Replies: 7

Views: 301

Re: YAVP - 1st Win (Troll Berserker)

Sprucery wrote:Also throwing...
Yeah, throwing rocks!

apologies for the obligatory bad pun...

Monday, 27th August 2018, 03:46

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Best way to escape Mennas?

Replies: 15

Views: 699

Re: Best way to escape Mennas?

An updated char dump would be useful. You seem to have already used up Lugonu's corrupt weapon ability? A distortion battleaxe would have been pretty good, but you only seem to have a +5 vorpal one. A vamp exec axe is pretty good, but not strictly necessary. If you have XP to spare, and the axe has...

Thursday, 23rd August 2018, 22:40

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Classify backgrounds into difficulty

Replies: 54

Views: 2041

Re: Classify backgrounds into difficulty

Berder wrote:And why would you comment this if you didn't think it applied?

Because you appeared to be making a blanket generalization that any evidence at all, in any circumstance, even misleading or false evidence, is better than no evidence, and I disagree.

Thursday, 23rd August 2018, 20:40

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Classify backgrounds into difficulty

Replies: 54

Views: 2041

Re: Classify backgrounds into difficulty

My evidence is pretty good, in fact. You'd have to do a lot of work to make a better analysis than my streak table. Regardless, even weak evidence is better than no evidence. "we just don't know, or are uncertain but have this suspicion or opinion". You think suspicions or opinions are no...

Thursday, 23rd August 2018, 19:39

Forum: Game Design Discussion

Topic: Classify backgrounds into difficulty

Replies: 54

Views: 2041

Re: Classify backgrounds into difficulty

Evidence is better than no evidence. Not always, I don't have any comment on whether or not it's better than no evidence in this case, but cherry picked and misrepresentative evidence can generate false confidence in erroneous conclusions, which is, in fact, worse than "we just don't know, or ...

Thursday, 23rd August 2018, 15:09

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Let's play equipment tetris!

Replies: 9

Views: 530

Re: Let's play equipment tetris!

njvack wrote:I think you should definitely drop the +12 vamp quickblade in lava and use the

jesus you also have a +7 eudemon blade

There's also a +9 rapier of elec sitting on the ground :)

Thursday, 23rd August 2018, 14:25

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Let's play equipment tetris!

Replies: 9

Views: 530

Re: Let's play equipment tetris!

i'm not going to give any advice i'm just here to say i hate you for finding buffed vampire's tooth on a vine stalker (You found it on level 5 of the Dungeon) I know, it's pretty insane, this has been the like "ultimate equipment" run I will probably kill myself due to not paying attention.

Thursday, 23rd August 2018, 06:33

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Let's play equipment tetris!

Replies: 9

Views: 530

Let's play equipment tetris!

Ok, so this is what I'm looking at: Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.22.0 (console) character file. Noma the Maledictor (Vine Stalker Enchanter) Turns: 49521, Time: 05:19:16 Health: 115/115 AC: 19 Str: 23 XL: 23 Next: 76% Magic: 42/42 EV: 21 Int: 25 God: Wu Jian [******] Gold: 2385 SH: 24 Dex: 17 ...

Tuesday, 21st August 2018, 18:51

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Recommend combo for WJC

Replies: 18

Views: 746

Re: Recommend combo for WJC

From the VSEn^WJC game that I started a couple days ago, this is one movement rightward, lunged+whirlwinded against 3 confused critters, 1.0 turns (Well, +3 to confuse them as they approached): You lunge at the water moccasin, in a flurry of attacks. You puncture the water moccasin! Your bite misses...

Tuesday, 21st August 2018, 15:28

Forum: Dungeon Crawling Advice

Topic: Recommend combo for WJC

Replies: 18

Views: 746

Re: Recommend combo for WJC

I decided to use VSEn. Axes/polearms are bad with WJC, short blades + aux attacks + stabbing are the best. Yeah, the martial attacks for WJC can be more thought of as adding a weird off-brand version of reach and cleave to whatever you're using, so weapons with reach and cleave are least benefited ...
Next

Return to advanced search

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.