|Anonymous | Login | Signup for a new account||2019-04-23 04:49 CEST|
|Main | My View | View Issues | Change Log | Wiki | Tavern | News|
|Viewing Issue Simple Details|
|ID||Category||Severity||Reproducibility||Date Submitted||Last Update|
|0009454||[DCSS] Patches||feature||N/A||2015-01-29 08:27||2015-06-10 18:03|
|Status||resolved||Product Branch||0.16 ancient branch|
|Summary||0009454: Ecumenical altars|
There was a thread on the tavern about altars that convert you to a random god. I wrote a patch implementing this. With it, there's a slightly over 50% chance of such an altar showing up on D1-3. I also included 3 (extremely bland) vaults for it.
This adds a much-requested gameplay feature to the game that can add some controlled randomness to the midgame and could promote unusual playstyles/combinations.
|Tags||No tags attached.|
altars2.diff [^] (6,937 bytes) 2015-01-30 05:38 [Show Content]
0001-Add-ecumenical-altars-bugzilla.patch [^] (7,638 bytes) 2015-06-10 07:29 [Show Content]
edited on: 2015-01-29 23:35
We discussed this a bit on IRC. The idea is good, but there are some tweaks to make:
* It shouldn't pick a god you can't worship (function player_can_join_god())
* We probably don't want altars on D:1 even if they are random.
* Conversely, it's probably not very interesting past Temple depth.
* The vault CHANCE:s are way too high, particularly given how many places it can occur. Personally I kind of like the idea of having just one, guaranteed, on D:3 or so, but I don't think there was consensus about that.
* dpeg said there had been forum talk about a piety bonus like that of monks (but maybe slightly smaller). That would be a good idea, but there are special cases to consider: Ru, Gozag, etc. Probably you could the same things that Monk does for those gods. Lasty suggested +15 or +20 extra piety, so that it's not as good as monk bonus (+35).
* The altar colour shouldn't be the same as Xom's. I'd suggest something along the lines of ETC_DARK (2/3 darkgrey, 1/3 lightgrey) but that's just bikeshedding.
* The DNGN_ALTAR_ECUMENICAL enum should come at the very end, after shadow traps. Possibly that was git rebase being too helpful about resolving conflicts :)
* "Ecumenical altar" was not really liked, but that's bikeshedding and trivial to change.
What Neil said. Except that I am not sure about guaranteed -- at most one (say in the depth range D:2-4) is fine, but I generally like it better when it's a surprise.
Of course, players will want to play "god roulette", and they'll complain if the random altar is not guaranteed. However, especially if this altar gives some additional piety for the gamble, the feature should be random (and perhaps even slightly rare-ish). Otherwise we're risking players rushing through D:3, pick random god and quit if they're unhappy with the result.
neil and dpeg,
Thanks a lot for the replies! I've uploaded an updated version of the patch that (should) fix all the issues.
* The altar is now ETC_DARK
* Moved DNGN_ALTAR_ECUMENICAL to the end of the enum (sorry about that, I thought it should go next to the Ru and Gozag altars)
* The vault now has a much lower CHANCE (5%) and appears only on dungeon levels 2-7 (hopefully)
* You now get 20 piety on joining. Ru gets an immediate sacrifice, and Gozag doesn't have a service fee. The piety is lower than it is for a monk, but the Ru and Gozag bonuses are the same.
* The code now checks player_can_join_god().
I don't really like the idea of it being guaranteed either, TBH, for the reasons dpeg pointed out.
Thanks a lot for taking a look at this!
I proposed a similar idea on IRC and the tavern, and PleasingFungus pointed this patch out to me.
No piety bonus, to make it less scummy (and spoily).
Only appearing on D:2-3, because it's really crappy find compared to the Temple and all the mini-temples scattered on D:4+
If Gozag is rolled, and the player doesn't have enough gold to join, take all he has and let him join anyway.
I've updated the patch with several changes & fixes:
* After you pray at this altar it is replaced with the relevant god's altar
* Second example altar
* Moved logic from join_religion (religion.cc) to _altar_pray_or_convert (godprayer.cc)
Spawns 50% of the time on d:2/3 for testing purposes.
|PR here https://github.com/crawl/crawl/pull/59 [^]|
|2015-01-29 08:27||godzilla||New Issue|
|2015-01-29 08:27||godzilla||File Added: altars.diff|
|2015-01-29 23:23||neil||Note Added: 0028401|
|2015-01-29 23:25||neil||Note Edited: 0028401|
|2015-01-29 23:33||neil||Note Edited: 0028401|
|2015-01-29 23:35||neil||Note Edited: 0028401|
|2015-01-30 01:01||dpeg||Note Added: 0028404|
|2015-01-30 05:38||godzilla||File Added: altars2.diff|
|2015-01-30 05:44||godzilla||Note Added: 0028405|
|2015-02-03 09:51||chris||Issue Monitored: chris|
|2015-02-03 09:52||chris||File Deleted: altars.diff|
|2015-06-08 05:02||Rast||Note Added: 0029149|
|2015-06-10 07:29||chequers||Note Added: 0029152|
|2015-06-10 07:29||chequers||File Added: 0001-Add-ecumenical-altars-bugzilla.patch|
|2015-06-10 08:16||chequers||Note Added: 0029153|
|2015-06-10 18:03||brendan||Note Added: 0029163|
|2015-06-10 18:03||brendan||Status||new => resolved|
|2015-06-10 18:03||brendan||Fixed in Branch||=> 0.17 development branch|
|2015-06-10 18:03||brendan||Resolution||open => done|
|2015-06-10 18:03||brendan||Assigned To||=> brendan|
|Mantis 1.1.8[^] Copyright © 2000 - 2009 Mantis Group|